New Locking handles from SWISCO do not fit. Can't lock windows!

A home owner from Dyersville, Iowa says:
The 38-058R Locking Handle on the left hand side is new one and the rivet head is too thick to clear the support plate. The lock on the left hand side is the old one which clears the support plate. How do I fix this problem, this is an ongoing problem, can not lock our windows. Please respond to this issue right away.
User submitted a photo of a window lock.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I see that your mounting plates have two sets of holes. See if you can use the other set of holes to mount the lock so that the rivet will be further away from it. If not, the only other option I can think of is to file the support plate or rivet head a little, just enough to by pass the plate.
A home owner from Dyersville, Ia says:
Do not have access to a file to file the support plate down. Do you think it would be safe to file the support plate; would this make the plate weak and can break. Also do not think I could file the rivet head it is too thick for this. There is no way that you can send a 2 new locks right and left side that has a smaller rivet head that would pass the support plate? Dawn
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Dawn. I don't believe your older version locks are available anymore. Sometimes manufacturers make small changes like this over the years. It can make things a little more difficult but there is usually a way around it.

Have you tried mounting your old support plate from the second set of holes? Based on the wear I see on the plate in your picture, you are using the holes that set the plate closer to the lock. Try the second set and see if that fixes your problem.

If not, we do sell the 38-278 multi point support plate, which is meant to work with the 38-058R. It doesn't look very different from yours at first glance, but I haven't heard anything from other customers who've bought them that would imply they don't work together.

How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.