Non-Tilt Window Spiral Balance Problems

A handy person from fl. says:

spiral balance non tilt window. i had to bend balance rod in order to remove it. the window is small and there was not enought space. do they make a fexabal rod?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

They do not make flexible rods, unfortunately. The balance wouldn't function properly with something like that. 

It sounds to me like you have what's called a "builder's grade" window. These are older, mass-produced windows that were not made to be repaired in any way. The idea was that if anything broke, no matter how small, you'd simply buy a whole new window from the company who sold you the first one.

That's a great deal for them, but a horrible deal for people like you and me. It doesn't help that they don't even make these anymore. That leaves you with very poorly designed windows that aren't made to be fixed and can't even be replaced, since the companies who made them are long gone.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There's just not a whole lot you can do in this situation. You could try installing a shorter balance and moving the installation hole lower in the track to compensate, but that also means that your window won't be able to open as much. Other than that, you may want to consider all new windows.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.