Non-tilt window channel replacement

A quick learner from Snohomish Washington says:
This balance has a 29" long metal channel with the 19-005 top and 15-004 (1-3/32" deep) bottom fittings. There are stamps on the back which read, 28 4 EK Caldwell. My window is 32" tall and 25" wide and weighs 16 pounds. I have read a similar discription from other mail in questions that I may have an incorrect channel in my windows.

My questions are should I order the 2830 stamp option for this weight? My windows do not have take out clips nor any holes for their use. Should I add take outs and drill holes into the plastic guides for installing them or just use the technique of adding a screw to both sides to assist in removing and replacing channels? What installation height from the closed sash would I need as a take out point?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WIN_20200608_11_58_55_Pro.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

From what you're describing, it sounds like you indeed have an S385-29, but if the window weighs exactly 16 lbs, then a stamp option of 2830 would indeed be preferable. Did you ever have trouble keeping these windows closed before the balances broke? If so, a spring that was too strong would be the cause.

It's pretty unusual that your windows had no holes for take-out clips. How did you get the old balances out? And how did the builders expect you to remove and replace the balances? It would probably be best to use the screw solution, despite it being makeshift. It depends on the window, but roughly ten inches above the window sash should work. You generally just want enough space to catch the balance, remove the sash, and be able to gently extract the balance. See the video below as an example.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.