Norandex Channel Balances

A home owner from Naples, FL says:

Hello,

I am trying to locate replacement balances for my Norandex windows. They were install about 19 years ago. The windows themselves are fine but the parts in the balances are worn and broken.

I have contacted a few distributors but they only sell replacement windows. If you think you can help with my problem, please contact me.

Thank you,

Richard

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C0030871-E8B2-48E1-AFAF-F865BCF903D6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F195DD26-CFD4-4E47-BF4C-7B78879F8C35.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3598F266-0654-49E7-BE1C-993A6BA1BF37.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Richard. This looks like a Series 380 or Series 385 Channel Balance. The only difference between these two kinds of balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. To know what length you need, measure the metal channel, but do not include the nylon fittings in this measurement. You'll then need to choose a stamp option. Look for a stamp code on the metal channel. If you're unsure, obtain the exact weight of your window sash. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option on the product page. 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. The metal part of the balance, not including the plastic ends, is 35". I did find the number 3435 stamped into the metal. I have no way of knowing if I have a Series 380 or Series 385 channel balance. I'm hoping they come fully assembled and ready to install. If not, I'll need everything to make a complete assembly.

I will need 12 balances for all 6 of my windows. If you have enough info now to determine exactly what I need, please let me know and I'll get back to you with shipping and payment info.

Thanks again,

Richard

Profile picture of Bob

Hey Richard. Yes, all our channel balances come fully assembled out of the box and ready to install.

The difference between the Series 380 and the Series 385 is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe. This can be thought of as the heel-to-toe measurement. For the Series 380, the bottom nylon shoe has a depth of 1". For the Series 385, the shoe is 1-3/32" deep. The picture below illustrates this.

Finally, your stamp option of 3435 is a little weird. Can you provide the exact weight of your window sash? That will tell us what stamp option you should use. Many thanks.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Hi Bob,
I weighed my windows and found that the smaller size, approx. 34" x 37", weighed 12 lbs. I have one window this size. The other 5 windows, approx. 46" x 37", weighed 20 lbs.

The bottom nylon shoe measures 7/8". So it appears it is different from the Series 380 and Series 385 models. If you think the 1" shoe will work ok, we can give it a shot.

My only other concern is getting the sashes back into the frame after the balance is installed. There doesn't seem to be enough lateral movement to get the sash into the tracks once the balance is in place. Do they come with installation instructions on doing this?

I feel as though we are making progress. I hope we can find the right parts for this project.

Thanks,

Richard
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Richard. Thanks for being thorough and checking this. If the shoe depth is 7/8", then I actually recommend we go with custom built balances that have the 15-029 7/8" shoe attached. We'd be happy to do this. I just want to get all the details sorted before I go ahead and write up a quote for you.

• You indicate that there are two different sized window sashes. The balances for each sized sash should correspondingly be different lengths then. We know one set of balances you need are 35" and have a stamp code of 3450. I am assuming this is for the five windows that weighs 20 lbs, though I would double-check this sash weight to be extra safe. Either way, you would need (10) of these balances total, right?
  • The smaller window then should have balances of a smaller length and a different stamp option. Please confirm those details for me. Also, I am assuming they have the same nylon fittings as the longer balances. You'll need (2) of these smaller balances. 

From there, we can get this going for you. Thanks for bearing with me, Richard.

Hi Bob,
I rechecked the smaller window and found that its balance is also 35" long. But the number stamped on it is 3425.
The weight of the larger windows, when rechecked, is 20.1 lbs.
You are correct about the quantity of balances required, 10 for the larger windows and 2 for the smaller one.
It looks like the frame of these windows on the vertical side is one piece, which makes me wonder how to remove and reinstall the sashes. There are Philips head screws on each side but it looks like they are long screws that secure the frame to the rough opening (see photos).
The balances I have have a metal piece on the bottom with a hook that catches and holds it to the frame. The plastic parts are the same as the other windows.
I hope this additional info helps you narrow down the parts I need. Thanks for sticking with me during this process. It's a real comfort to find a vendor that actually knows what he's talking about and provide the customer service required to get the job done!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F32A7DB0-0E3B-4D4B-BF1F-CB74E02C21DC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2839E116-AEAA-4BE5-BB5B-0692953F7FA0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0B2E8E3F-699C-445B-9DE2-940E630458FB.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Richard. Thanks for confirming those final details. I just sent you an email with two custom links for the following:

•  One link to order (2) 35" balances with the 19-005 Top and 15-029 Bottom Fittings attached, stamped 3410 (which supports a window sash in the weight range of 8 through 13 lbs). 
  • One link to order (10) balances of the same length and same fittings, but with a stamp option of 3430 (which supports a window sash in the weight range of 18 through 23 lbs). 

Let me know if you have any questions prior to ordering; note that these custom balances are non-refundable, so it's best to double-check everything one last time before proceeding. If you have trouble removing and re-installing the sash when installing these new balances, see if the guidance video below helps. Thank you too for the very kind words too; it's nice to be able to help people get what they need, especially with balances that are this particular. Let us know if you need anything else!

Thanks for sending the video, Bob. The procedure looks pretty straightforward. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as it looks.

I totally understand about the custom balances being non-returnable/ refundable. I'll let you know if I have any further questions once I get to replacing them.

Thanks again for all your help!

Richard
Profile picture of Bob

Sounds good Richard. If you have any other questions, we will be here. Thank you. 

Hey Bob,

I received the replacement balances today and the installation went very smoothly. They work great! I still have one issue, and it has nothing to do with the parts you sent. They were perfect! While reinstalling the small window, I noticed one side wouldn't catch the balance when I pushed it down. I then discovered that the plastic part on the inside edge of the window at the top was broken. I've attached a picture of it. If you could find a replacement for that, I can get that last window completed.

You guys have been great! I live in a community of 730 condos and I'm sure others are having similar problems because they were all built by the same contractor. I'll pass the word around and hopefully you can help others like you've helped me.

Thanks again!

Richard

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FEB42C39-6B15-44EB-8F13-7A9762100A54.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Take a look at our 18-161. Go over the dimensions and see if this matches what you need.

It looks like the right one Bob. I just ordered several so I would have spares.

Thank you!

Richard
Profile picture of Bob

Awesome, Richard. Let me know if you need anything else, and many thanks for your business; we appreciate it.

Hi Bob,
Does Swisco sell window screens, either standard sizes or custom made? I have a few that need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Richard Heffernan
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.