Note: offset top hole. Will 39-056 fit?

A home owner from USA says:

Wondering if the 39-056 is a suitable replacement.

Thank you, Robert 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named operator 1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named operator 2.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Robert, thank you for submitting your inquiry to our discussion board.

Based on the pictures you sent in, we believe the 39-432 might be a better option for you.

Please compare the dimensions to your current operator and let us know if you think this will work for you.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have three points: 1) My operator has a Top hole which is offset. In my photo, as you look at the inner workings, you can see that it is offset to the left. Your suggested replacement seems to be in the center.

2) My second point is that the link arm measurements on My unit are 2 3/16" The link arm on the suggested replacement is 2 3/8".

3) In the picture of My unit, you can see the gearing on what I would call the Upper portion of the link arm. No such gearing appears on the suggested replacement.

Would any or all of these discrepancies make the 39-432 Tucker unsuitable?
Profile picture of Tom

I agree that the 39-432 isn't your best option due to the fact that it lacks the offset top hole. The 39-056 is closer, but I just ran in back and took one out of stock to look at. While the top hole is indeed offset, it looks to skew closer to the center, by my eye.

Truth be told, we haven't been able to find a more exact match to your original part. I suspect that it may not be made anymore. Would you happen to know who manufactured your window? That may allow us to at least confirm that we can't get a closer match. 

Another concern is the shoulder screw at the end of the link arm. The 39-056 lacks the sleeve that yours has, though that may not come into play. The 39-056 is designed to be used with a 33-067 shoulder screw.

Let me know your thoughts, or if you had any other questions.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

In answer to your question, I cannot find the name of the window manufacturer.

Comparing the measurements of 39-056, the one slight discrepancy is the Top Hole to Bottom Hole measurement. My unit is 5 1/16". The 39-056 shows a 5". Is that difference enough to be of concern?

As to the offset Top Hole, do you think I could modify that by drilling, if need be?

What would you do at this point?
Profile picture of Tom

That top to bottom hole may be an issue. 1/16" is nothing to sneeze at, and its a narrow enough difference that drilling a new screw hole could result in overlap with the old hole, which is no good. I would double-check to make sure that you're measuring from the center of each hole, not their edges, just to be 110% sure.

As for the offset of the top hole, I thought I'd go back again and give you a more precise measurement. I used the photo you submitted as a reference. Hopefully this clears things up for you.

User submitted image of a sliding window operator.
Once again, I thank you!

The measurement that you took on the offset Top Hole, i.e. 0.372" showing on the picture of My Unit, is that the same measurement on the offset of the Top Hole on the Replacement 39-056? Please let me know.

In response to your comment, I have been taking my measurements from Hole Center to Hole Center. As to the Bottom Hole to Top Hole measurement of 5 1/16", I have rechecked myself several times. It appears accurate.

As to my suggestion of drilling, I was NOT going to drill a new Top hole, but merely enlarge the Top Hole on the Replacement Unit by that 1/16" difference if necessary.

What do you think?
Profile picture of Tom

That's great news! Yes, 0.372" is the same dimension on the 39-056. I was worried that ours was different, but if they match up then that's one problem solved.

The only issue remaining is the distance between the top and bottom hole. There isn't much you can do; enlarging one of the holes, as you mentioned, is probably your best bet, though of course that comes with a few risks. 1/16" isn't insignificant, so you'll be cutting it close.

That said, I think that our 39-056 is our best option. I cannot guarantee it will work, but I think with a little patience and careful drilling it could be possible.

How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.