Nu Air Windows

A home owner from 34953 says:
Hello,

I have 7 Nu Air windows, all with the same ~60.5" height, four with a 51" width, two with a 35.5" width and one with a 34.5". They pretty much all have an issue with the locks not being able to close cleanly or not at all. The wider windows have two locks and only one will lock on each.

I took pictures of one of the 51" wide windows showing the bottom sash removed from the frame and of the bottom right channel balance. The string on the bottom right channel balance was broken when I took the sash out, which is probably why it won't stay open on its own. The top left channel balance string looked fine.
The picture of the top channel balance inside the frame hangs out quite a bit when the sash is installed and when the top plastic holder isn't holding it in, should it hang out that much?
The channel balance width is a little over 1/2". The two pictures of the top and bottom right side of the sash are identical to the left side. There is a marking on the channel balance that says "29 5 LW CMC 1". The length of the balance is about 31" including the plastic pieces.

I hope this is enough information for you to assist me in getting the parts I need to get my windows working properly so they lock and are sealed. If you need anything else, please let me know and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Steven
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211128_184725657.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211128_184736734.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211128_185010288.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211128_185105617.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211128_185400389_HDR.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Steven. Do the windows struggle to open or stay opened? If so you almost certainly need new channel balances. If it's just an issue of the locks not latching to their keepers though it may be a different issue, such as the window not being level, in which case you may need to hire a pro for assistance. Just keep that in mind. 

If you did need to replace the balances, you have either our S380-30 or S385-30. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. For a stamp choose 2950. 

For the Top Sash Guides, see id the 18-178 pair matches what you need.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
A home owner from 34953 says:
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the response.

The windows are all hard to open but they all stay open except for the one I mentioned. The locks and the windows sealing properly are my main issue since I live in Florida and want to keep the heat out. It does look like some of them are missing the sash guides on the bottom after further inspection.
I measured the bottom shoe and it is 1" so the S380 is what I need.

If I purchase a set of two to test, how easy will it be to move them from window to window to make sure I'm not wasting money by buying all 14 balances just to find out the windows aren't level?

Thank you,
Steven
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211201_202009453.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Steven. Removing and replacing channel balances isn't a complicated process, so assuming all the balances are the same size, testing new ones to replace them shouldn't prove too difficult. I advise wearing safety goggles just in case--balances are under a lot of tension, after all. The video below goes deeper on the installation process. Take a look. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.