OLD.. Side sliding window corners

A quick learner from Maple Shade, NJ says:
I already fixed my tilt window thanks to you guys.. Next project is very old sliding windows (1960?) corners.. pictures .. I also need the set screws (and possibly the the stuff that goes between the aluminum and the glass.. weather strip?)

The windows slide sideways and are about 3' x 2'each will get real measurements when it comes to ordering.
Thank you again,
Kathy
PS.. I hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Take a look at our 95-046 corner, which has a screw hole 9/16" from the end. Recheck your hole spacing. Hopefully it will match the 95-046. If the hole spacing on does not line up with your corner, you could consider the 95-254 and simple drill the mounting hole in the position you need. Also, try a local hardware store in your area to see if they have the right sized screw. Take the corner and a sample screw with you.

A quick learner from Maple Shade, NJ says:

Ok.. I ordered both corner pieces and glazing..And found the missing screws...I think everything will work with what I have !!

Is there a video on the safest way to replace the glazing ?

The windows are heavy, 6' x 3'. and I'm only 5'2"!

If there's no video, can you tell me the easiest, safest way for me to get these windows back to working condition ??

Do I put the glazing in the frame, then slide the window from the end..or push it into the frame ? I can use dawn soap to make it slide easier...

Or should I put the glazing onto the window edge then slide from the end or push straight onto the frame ?

Also, do I wrap the corners or cut them, then fit back together in the corners ?

You guys are awesome !!

Kathy

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The way I have repaired these in the past was to put the glazing vinyl on the glass itself, then use a few pieces of masking tape to hold the vinyl onto the glass. Next, I would install the two side heights onto the glass. Do not push or tap the metal all the way onto the glass, just tap it a little. Be very gentle. Then, you want to install the corner keys into the top and bottom pieces of metal. With the corners in the top and bottom rails, carefully tap the top and bottom rails in place. You should take your time, tapping a little at the top, bottom and sides, in a cycle. Your main aim is to not damage the glass in any way. With old frames like this, it's a risk. At one time you could have taken your window to Mike's Hardware up on Main Street, but he has since retired.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.