Old 1970 Window Spiral Balance

A quick learner from Pensacola, FL says:
Hello,
I have some old 1970 windows with 3/8 20" spiral balances non-tilt that load or connect at the top of the window. I've watched several videos and haven't seen one similar to my window. I've attached a few photos and have more if needed. I need to know what type of spiral balance shoe is needed.

Justin
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Justin. I think we can replace this, but I'm having a hard time making out that plastic shoe. Could you show us a clear picture of it from a few different angles? I'd preferably like to see it undamaged and out of the window.
A quick learner says:
Sure here you go!
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience while we looked into this. I believe we can custom make this for you. I'm thinking our S300-20 with a 15-020 shoe. Can you just tell me the weight of the sash? Can you also tell me how many you need?
A quick learner from Pensacola, FL says:
Good Morning Paul,

I will need 12 S300-20 with the 15-020 shoe attached at the bottom. The way these windows come apart is the bottom metal sash clip attaches to the bottom of the window. I'm under a deadline and need to get these ordered asap. I do appreciate all your help and assistance with identifying these parts. My hopes are that the bottom metal clips are still on the bottom of each window since most of these balances are broken.

Kindest Regards,

Justin
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Were you able to get the sash weight I requested? Since you're in a hurry, I can send you a custom order link for these balances with a Red Tip color option, which is common, but this is just a guess. Without knowing the weight of the sash I don't know if this is the best spring strength. Two balances with a Red Tip color option can hold sash balances weighing 8 through 21 pounds.

Concerning the metal forks, I don't think you will need them. We won't be able to supply them, anyway. They were discontinued in the 1990's. When I used to repair these this kind of window, I would first remove the sash, then replace the bottom sash clips (17-014 and 17-015, if you need them) and balances. Then I would install the sash back in the frame and have a friend hold it up while I give the spiral an extra three extra turns (you should feel tension building). I would then slide it into the bottom sash clip.

In will send you a custom order form for 12 of these balances, but I still highly encourage you to weigh your sash to confirm that the Red Tip color option is correct.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.