Old Rod Balances ID

A home owner from Fairview, Tn says:
These are the original single hung windows installed when the house was build in 1999. I am the original owner. I have 13 windows and only 2 windows stay up. As I hope you can see in one picture, the part that the string goes around is about to break on this one. The top black part that the spring hooks over have broken on most of the windows too. I'd like to know the manufacturer if the letters/numbers tell you that because I have a couple sashes that have condensation. Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5033[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5034[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5035[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5037[1].JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5036[1].JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This looks like an old rod balance that isn't made anymore, and I'm afraid the specific components are not replaceable. Fortunately, the whole assembly can be replaced with one of our Series 775 Channel Balances. You'll need to determine the following to know which to select:

• Measure the length of the rod to determine the metal channel length needed.
  • Measure the size of the wedge shoe to determine if you need a balance with a 1" or 1-1/4" wide shoe. 
  • Weigh the window sash. You will need to take that exact weight and match it to one of the weight ranges listed under the product description on the balance shop page. That will tell you what stamp option to choose. 

Let me know if you have further question. 

A quick learner from Fairview, Tn says:
I recently ordered 2 S775-28" 1 1/4" shoe Balances. I installed them over the weekend.I used the 2 that I ordered on a 28" with a 1 1/4 shoe 10 lb because that was the closest match. The window glides but the "Nail ends" that stick out of the shoe drag some in to track. Is that normal or installation error? Also it pushes down with strong resistance. Is that because I ordered too strong a spring for that weight window?

I am ready to order for the remaining 12 windows. I have 4 windows that measure 16" and weigh 11.2 lbs. I didn't find that size. I'll be ordering for 28"-18.2 lbs, 28"-16.0 lbs, and need 16" 11.2 lbs--all 1 1/4" shoe. I'll place the order after I get your answer/guidance.
Tks-Joyce
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear you've had trouble with the Series 775 replacements. I think I can help. One reason the locking pin is hanging up might be that the locking pin is not facing towards the inside of the house. Make sure this is so and get back to me. Regarding the balance being too strong for the window, you report the sash weighs 10 pounds. You chose 28B as the stamp option however, which is for balances that can support a weight range of 12 through 28 pounds. Balances that are simply too strong for a light sash will result in the sash constantly drifting upward or being too hard to close. You would have been better off with stamp 2800, for a window sash that weighs 7 through 21 pounds. To return any balances, see our Return Policy here

For 16" old rod balances that support sashes weighing 11.2 lbs, go with S775-16 and a stamp option of 16C, for a sash that weighs  10 through 16 pounds. For the 28" balances that support sashes that weigh 16 pounds, go with S775-28 and 28B, for 12 through 18 pounds.

How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.