Operator 39-020 skips

A quick learner from Los Angeles, CA says:
We installed operators on a total of 8 windows, and it looks like 50% have been bad..
Its a pretty basic install... the cranks 39-020 are failing within the first few days.

Please see attached install... The one on the right is bad..
I think the install is good, its just the gears inside the crank that are failing, so it "skips" when cranking..same symptom on all the cranks that you have replaced for us.

Window closed on right, with bad crank, had to assist by hand to close.

Is there a different/ better operator for our installation?
Window operator
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter as we looked into this. We have not been able to find another operator similar to our 39-020 and 39-021. I'm not sure why yours would be failing after only a few days, but it definitely sounds like these operators aren't the correct option for your window.

One thing I would try first is making sure that the windows aren't binding somewhere else. I would uninstall the operators and then open and close the window manually to see if it still functions. I also don't see any hinges. Are the operators the only things holding the sash to the frame? There should be hinges on the top and bottom of the sash.
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a wood casement window crank
How to install a wood casement window crank
GUIDE
READ >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.