Operator hardware replacement for 40s era window

A quick learner from Phoenix, AZ says:

I'm looking to replace the operator hardware on about a dozen windows from this '40s era home in Phoenix. Can you advise me about replacement hardware? Also, are there retro fit screens available to install on this type of window? Thx, Tim

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AECF94E6-A112-4972-A505-EC470D787534.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 185E2831-47A8-4670-8D12-5F52FAC6BAE9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CE9D2F55-4632-4EAA-82BE-4DA2B5D0FF9D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E78488B9-AC85-4EFD-9D33-F4DA4AA87F57.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2B7F2EC1-1A3D-41E9-A02E-E65F7B178F4F.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Tim. This is a very old window, but fortunately we have an operator style that I think can work for you. See our 39-001 and 39-002. These are designed to work on older windows and I think they look pretty close to what you're showing here. The only thing I'm not sure about is the style and size of the bearing at the end of the arm. The two operators I suggested use a 9/16" disk, as you can see in the picture below.

Close up image of the button diameter
You should definitely check the end of your operator's arm to be sure it's the same. I've seen all sorts of crazy hooks, latches, or dongles on operators as old as yours. You can never be too certain.
As for the screen, I'm afraid that's a bit outside our wheelhouse. All I can tell you is that with a window as old as this it'll be a gamble no matter how you look at it. Odds are you'll need something custom made. I would recommend contacting a local hardware store who makes screens, they should be able to tell you for sure.
Thanks very much for your help. I'm in Hawaii now but will travel to Phoenix next week and check on the bearing and get back to you. Thanks again, Tim
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds great. We will be here! 

Tom - Finally in Arizona and I'm sending a picture of the disassembled operator. Can you supply me with a complete unit? I would like to purchase 1 and if it works, I'll follow up with the rest of the operators. Arm width is 5/8" and disc appears to be 9/16". Thanks, Tim P.S. let me know how to order.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B48B9D2C-46F0-49F6-BEC5-C7260D9B0512.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! Since you report that your disc and arm size are the same as our 39-001 and 39-002, then those would be my recommendation. 

You can place your order directly from our site whenever you wish. Just visit the page for whatever product you want to buy, set the quantity, click "Add to Cart," then when you're all done click "CHECKOUT" at the upper right hand corner of our page.

A quick learner from Phoenix Arizona says:
The product and customer service were exceptional. From first contact to delivery of my order I felt like the equipment I was looking for was professionally identified and the recommendations were completely accurate. Most importantly, the operators worked perfectly on my 1940's steel windows. Thanks Swisco, Tim Mennealy

Profile picture of Tom

Thank you for your generous compliments. We are pleased to hear that everything has worked out for you. Please do not hesitate to contact us again for a future project. 

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.