Outside lock for door

A quick learner from Fort Worth, Texas says:
In need of a lock on the outside. #580PD PlyGem sliding glass door.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Image 1-11-23 at 10.03 AM.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3061.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would need you to write out the distance between the installation hole centers of your handle set, as well as show us the inside handle and mortise lock in the center of the door, to research your replacement options. Thank you!

I'm going to send 3 photos. Tell me by the picture what I need to measure please. I'm a little confused on what you need.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D96C67EF-2379-40AF-A335-DE1E08231BF4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8CE2141E-F313-4166-95B0-F85A4448CF16.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E792FB50-25B3-417E-9A32-C7E1C978C53F.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. The mortise lock in the center of your door resembles the 82-227, which generally uses a handle set with 3-15/16" hole spacing like the 82-030 shown below. With that being said, your hole spacing looks like it may be larger, so we'll need you to confirm your exact measurement to be sure.  

Alternate image for 82-227
Alternate image for 82-227

Hole center dimensions for 82-030
Hole center dimensions for 82-030

Measurements are the same with the exception of the height of the piece is 6" where yours is showing 61/8.
Profile picture of Casey

The overall height of the mortise is not as important as the installation hole spacing. You can use the 82-030 handle set as long as the rest of the specifications match up to yours, which is compatible with the 82-310 key lock that is sold separately. Take a look and review the related videos on this page for further assistance. 

I ordered the 82-310 and want to thank you for ALL your help. Especially loved the video. This will help so much when the lock comes in.
Profile picture of Casey

Since you opted to purchase only the key lock and not a new handle set, keep in mind that you'll need to ensure that your external handle has punch-outs on the inside to install a key lock. 

Your original handle also does not have the protrusion that our 82-030 has to support the lock, so you would actually need the 82-315 that comes with a housing to use it in your original handle. 

So I should order both the 82-030 and 82-315?
Profile picture of Casey

You would only need the 82-315 if you decide to use your original handle set, which appears to be in relatively good condition but would require a key lock housing. 

If you opt to replace the original handle set with the 82-030 that we've discussed, then you would use the 82-310 since the 82-030 has a protrusion on the external handle that makes an additional key lock housing unnecessary. 

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.