Parts for Loewen Window?

A quick learner from Washington State says:
Hello. I stumbled onto your site. I believe I need to replace at least 1 balance spring assembly in one of my Loewen windows. I think I make out the code as 22 HD 8 SL. There may be something like RP or FP below. Perhaps you can make it out better than I. I have not yet removed anything. So I am not sure exactly what needs to be replaced. All I know now is that the inside cam lock on one side does not seem to move upward with the window sash any more. When I raise the sash I sometimes hear a noise that sounds like a spring. Thanks!
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello. I believe we can help, but we will need to see what is attached to the end of the cord that comes out of your balance. Once you show us this attachment, preferably removed from the window, we should be able to narrow this down for you. Many thanks.

No problem Casey! Thanks.

In the attached photo you can see the part of the window that is no longer going up when the window is raised. This causes or allows the window to slide down after being raised and this is the problem I am trying to solve.

In browsing around your website, I think this must be a series 751 if it is anything you offer. This is a tilting window from Loewen. Delivered to the construction site in 2006. I have a copy of the order paperwork and THINK I know which is this window if that helps.

BTW - the unit pictured, maybe called a knife lock, does move as sometimes I see it a bit higher and sometimes a bit lower. And when moving the window up/down I sometimes here a twanging noise that I presume is a spring vibrating or something like that. Thanks again.Cheers!

In trying to get more information, I have measured the length of the balances. It turns on that the inner sash balance and the outer have different sized balances with different numbers.

The inner sash, marked 22 DH BSL RP, is 23" from the bottom of the stop (which is 1-3/16 in length and similar to your Product Code: 55-110)/top of the balance to the bottom edge.

The outer sash, marked 20 HD BSL RE, is 21" from the top of the balance to the bottom edge. There is no stop on the outer sash, just a piece of some sort of foam pad.

Hope this helps zero-in on what I need.

Thanks for your time and help.

PS:

Having not actually yet tried to remove the jamb liner (seems not really a good idea until I have replacements in hand), I have no measurements for the balance or the channel it must slide into. However, the exposed face of the balance, where the numbers are stamped, is right around 7/16". Are these dimensions fairly standard with Loewen and across the industry? Thanks

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Yes, it looks like you have S751-23 and S751-21 (for the 21" ones) ribbed balances. The spring weights will be 22HD and 20HD, respectively. I think you were correct to identify the Series and weights the way you did.

To eliminate the twanging noise when operating the window, use some silicone spray on the vinyl track. That should help.

Hello Paul. You must be a genius! I tried some silicone spray in the track in which the knife block moves (or is supposed to move) and that seems to have solved my problem with it not following the window sash up/down. I guess it was just getting hung up. This has not made any difference in the twanging noise from the spring - at least not yet. Did you you mean for me to spray it from the top - below the stop piece? Otherwise I don't see how it could lube anything on the spring itself. But this is a huge step forward! Wow.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Great, glad to hear things are starting to improve. As for where to spray, I recommend removing the balance entirely to spray the spring in the balance itself. You could also apply white grease to the spring.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.