Parts to fix my windows

A home owner from Boston MA says:
Dear Sir/Madam,

The double-hung windows in my house will not stay in the up position after lifting up. Could you help me,

- identify the maker and the model of the windows based on the images i sent?
- suggest what parts i will need to fix the problem?

Thank you very much! Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best,
Frank
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Frank. I'm afraid I can't identify anything about the manufacturer from this sticker; but it likely doesn't matter, as this hardware is usually generic and can vary even when you know the brand. If the window won't stay up then its likely that the window balances on either side of the sash need to be replaced. These are spring-loaded mechanisms that regulate the opening and closing of the window. I can't tell what kind you have from these photos; you would need to remove them from the window tracks to show me. You can read more about all the different kinds of window balances here

A home owner from Boston MA says:
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your reply. I took more photos for your reference. Can you,

1. confirm the windows balancer is spiral?
2. can you suggest how to remove it from the window frame, especially the one for the bottom sash? seems the top part is concealed under a plastic cover.
3. does the top sash also come with a balancer, e.g. the metal tubing shown in the photo? Does this also need to be replaced?

Please suggest. Thanks!

Frank
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7-1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 10-1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Frank. Yes, good eye; these are definitely spiral balances for tilt windows, which means you're going to need either the Series 900 or Series 600 Spiral Balances for replacements. Watch the first two videos below that show how to remove and replace this type of balance, as well as how to ID the right replacement. Those covers you should be able to just pop off. 

That tube is part of a spiral balance for the upper sash, so yes, it also uses spiral balances. If that sash still operates technically you might not need to replace that pair now; but since I'm assuming all these balances were installed at the same time, it does stand to reason that they all might fail around the same time, so it could be in your best interest to just replace all four of the balances in this window now (a pair per sash). 

Finally, that block at the bottom of the window track that the spiral connects with is a pivot shoe. You might want to check to see if those need a replacement as well. The third video below shows how to remove and replace them. If they look damaged, please remove one, show us a picture, and give us its width and thickness. Many thanks. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.