Parts to hold Spring Tension bar in place - Alenco Ply-Gem

A handy person from Naples, FL says:

The spring tension bar on one of my windows popped out. It is on the right hand side of the window.

I have included a picture of my Alenco Ply Gem label for the window.

The top black plastic piece is damaged, the pin that holds that to the tension bar is bent, the white roller where the strings go through has damage, and finally white plastic part at the top of the bar that holds the spring in place seems to be damaged and the bar itself has a small bend in it where the pin must have been.

Do you have instructions on how to replace? How about schematics of Alenco Ply Gem windows.

Thank you, Tom

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image6.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thanks for writing in. It looks like you will need to replace the whole balance. Can you please show me clear images of the plastic shoes at either end of the metal channel? I would also like to see any stamps or imprints on the metal channel. This information will assist me in recommending a part. Thanks!

Thank you for your response. The distributor got back to me and told me my windows are PlyGem 4700 series.

The stamping on the channel shows '3375' some symbol and then 'JV'. I have included a picture of the stamping.

The length of the channel is 35" with the shoe pushed back in (it came out when the unit failed) and the plastic header piece. The metal channel itself looks to be 33.75" without the shoe or plastic header portion measured.

I will also need the black plastic cap that looks like it holds the channel in place.

I will also probably be replacing both sides if recommended.

Thank you!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3166.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3167.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3168.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3169.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3170.JPG
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to me! It looks like we can help, but it will need to be a custom balance due to its unique design. In order to proceed with this, can you please show me the clip or hook at the end of the pulley cord? We appreciate your patience in this process. 

I believe I have attached pictures of what you are asking for. If not please send me an email directly and provide me a telephone number to call or I can provide you my telephone number. I should be around most of the day except 2:30-3:30 pm Eastern.

Thanks!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3175.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3177.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3176.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3178.JPG
Profile picture of Casey

Great, thanks! My colleague Bob just sent you an email with a custom link enclosed to order (2) of these balances. If you need a different amount, or have any other questions, just let us know here in the discussion thread. Thanks a lot for reaching out!

Could you please confirm how long it would take to receive these. The shipping info says I would not receive until January 8, 2021!!

And each unit (I need 2) is $74+.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. Unfortunately there is indeed a 5 to 6 week lead time on these balances, since we need to get the parts in stock so we can assemble and ship them out to you. The price is due to the fact these balances are both unique both in design and in their spring strength. Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Okay - sorry to be a pain but one last question.
I suspect there was a failure of the balancer due to the fact that the manufacturer probably added a heavy duty spring to this window since they have high impact glass and weigh more but never upgraded the metal channel or retaining pin. As a result the pin and channel bent causing the failure. (These windows are never opened except for cleaning a couple of times a year).
So my question - if I purchase custom balancers for this window will the metal channel and retaining pin be made of strong enough metal to prevent this in the future?
Thanks!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3172.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3175.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3169.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

The stamp of 3375 is meant for a pretty heavy window, so I think the spring support should be fine--if what on the original balance was correct. So long as that calibration is accurate, the fittings and hook shouldn't deteriorate quickly. If you're uncertain these were the correct balances, I'd check to see if they're the sames ones in an identical sized window in the house--let me know if they're different at all. Note that the average lifespan of a channel balance should be 10-15 years, assuming it's the right one for the window.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.