Patio Door Keeper

A quick learner from Norwalk says:
Hi I purchased a Patio Door Keeper, 1/2" Wide from Swisco a while back. (89-007) When I installed it, the lock on the door got stuck on the keeper. I could not move the lock to open the door. I had to unscrew the handle set to open the door. Does this mean I should also replace the sliding door handle with a new set? On the page where I got the Door keeper it recommended: SLIDING DOOR HANDLE SET, 3-15/16" Product Code: 82-003 If I have this and the door keep should I be able to open and close my sliding glass door?

Thanks in advance
Joe
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello Joe. There could be two possible problems with the lock. First, check to see if the handle rail on your door is "pushed" onto the glass too much creating a gap between the center of the door to the jamb. Or the jamb could be screwed in too tight also creating a gap between the door and jamb. A quick fix could be to pack out the keeper using some washers and longer screws. By packing out the keeper you will give it a little more play and wiggle room for the handle to lock onto the keeper. If this still does not fix the issue, let us know.
A quick learner from CT says:
Hi Mike,

Not following you, unfortunately. I've attached a few more photos to hopefully see if that illustrates the problem more clearly. When I mount the keeper, the lock becomes stuck. I had to unscrew the handle on the sliding glass door to loosen lock/keeper

thanks for your time.

User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Joe, looking at your photos it appears that you have an Acorn Dorwal handle set. This uses the 82-055 handle set, which is designed to work with the 89-007 keeper. I'm not sure why you're having trouble wit it. There are a few things to look for. First, you might need to adjust the 89-007 or the patio sliding door rollers so that the lock is aligned with the keeper. You want your sliding door panel to have a straight plumb site line at the door jamb. You could also possibly pack out the 89-007 using some washers (checking to see if you need to use longer screws when using washers, of course). That could give you a little more play in the keeper. Let me know what you think.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.