Patriot tilt window wool pile replacement

A quick learner from NJ says:
Windows are approximately 17 years old and wool pile needs replacing. Due to design, top corner needs to be cut in order to access start of channel to slide pile in. My husband took to a local window retailer to look at. is there a trick to this or can we get some type of adhesive and use to attach? Should we just purchase new pile that is self adhesive?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Good morning! The wool pile should be installed into a groove on the edge of the window sash where the existing wool pile is. I don't believe the self adhesive is the answer.

Check to see if your sash is a mechanical screwed together type sash. Then you can unscrew the corners, which would allow you to easily replace the wool pile.

You could also have a welded type sash where the corners are welded together and can not be taken apart. If it is the welded type they you will need to cut away a small part of the groove at one of the corners to allow you to slide in the new wool pile. You will also need to use a little adhesive to secure the wool pile into groove so it wont slide out when you operate the sash. To be honest, in the case of a welded sash you might want to take it back to the window retailer or a glass shop and see what they say.
A quick learner from NJ says:
Thank you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)