Pella Storm Door Locking Problem..

A handy person from Milton, DE says:
My Pella Storm Door is 10 years old and just recently when opening the storm door mortise lock from the outside with the pella key, the key just spins and does not unlock the door. However the key still locks the door from the outside. The inside turn latch still locks and unlocks the door. How do I fix the problem. What replacement parts do I need? Do I need the Pella Multi Point Mortise Lock ( Product Code 40-191)? Please respond with a solution. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I think we can help, but I'm a little confused. You said that when you try to use the key, it just spins, but then you say it still locks from the outside and inside. Can you be more specific as to when you encounter this problem?

One good way to see if the mortise lock is the problem is to remove the handle set from the door and attempt to throw it manually, like with a screwdriver. If it still activates without issue, then it's probably fine and the issue lies elsewhere.
SWISCO 40-191 Storm Door Multi-Point Mortise Lock by Pella
SWISCO 40-191 Storm Door Multi-Point Mortise Lock by Pella
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
40-191 Mortise Lock Latch Assembly Removal
40-191 Mortise Lock Latch Assembly Removal
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.