Do you have to remove the sash to replace this shoe

A quick learner from St. Joseph, Mi 49085 says:
Do I have to take the window off to get a new plastic slider hinge replaced and connected to the bottom of the window?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure, it would likely depend on what you have. Can you show us a few pictures of the plastic slider hinge in question? That will allow us to determine what you have and what you can do to replace it.
A quick learner from ST. Joseph,MI says:

I never new that fixing a Pella window could be this much fun. The question was the replacement of part 39-371, a slider plastic connector to the bottom of the window. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. No, you shouldn't have to remove the window sash. You should be able to unsnap the 39-371 from the bracket, then snap the new one in its place. It would probably be easier to remove the hinge from the window entirely, but I don't think it's necessary to remove the sash for that, either.
A professional from NY says:
You can replace the plastic glide without removing the sash but still need to remove the hinge arm screw that goes through sill. This will allow you to slide the glide far enough past the access slot in the bottom track. and nudge the sash outward. This would be best with two people. Another way would be to remove fastening screws that hold down bottom track and slide outward to gain access.
Best to remove sash completely and inspect hinge arm mounts that go to the bottom of the sash for wear and loose fitting. It will also give you an opportunity to thoroughly clean the tracks and apply a preservative primer to the bottom of the sash where the hinge screws attach. This is the most vulnerable area of the sash for wood rot and weakening. A major issue with older Pella casement windows of this vintage.
A professional from springfield says:
you can change the shoe with the sash in but its easier to take the window sash out. the shoe snaps in and holding the weight of the sash up alittle to get the shoe in is a pain in the but.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.