Pivot Shoe & Pin

A contractor from Landisville PA says:
Hello 'Swisco' You all do a great job with these parts!! I have used you once or twice in the past and look forward to a solution to this issue.

Attached are photos from a customers window. He said he thinks Home Depot installed in 2007, as the date on the sticker shows. So, I think they are 6500 series and I see the Simonton brand on sticker as well, which I see you have several parts for.

As you can see the pivot pin in bent and the pivot shoe is broken. I cant really determine which shoe and pin is a replacement for this one without guessing.

Both coil springs appear to be in excellent condition and are stamped 407. The pin is a strong 1/4" wide x 3 1/4" long. I understand that I don't need to match the pin exactly if I am replacing the shoe as well, however, I will need to replace the pin on another window with the same style pivot shoe. so in that case the new pin will need to work with the old shoe, if that is possible.

Thanks again in advance, looking forward to placing the order!
Greg Mazzeo
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220515_120959.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220515_174725.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220515_174842.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220515_180403.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Greg! I hope we can help you once again.

Simonton no longer make this balance assembly, but I have a couple options or you to consider.

The first is our 15-192 Certainteed brand pivot shoe. This looks almost identical to the original shoe at first glance, and it will work, but there are a few caveats: one is that the face of our 15-192 has some bumps on the outside that makes it a little too tight to install in old Simonton windows. As such, those bumps have to be shaved or cut off. 

Another issue is that the metal cam isn't compatible with the original pivot bar. That pivot bar actually isn't made anymore either but Simonton replaced this with the 26-336; this will work with the old Simonton pivot shoes but not the 15-192, at least not as-is. You would have to grind down the "collar" on the front tip to be perfectly flat.

That's it for the 15-192. Our second solution is one that I personally prefer. We have a more modern coil balance that I think works even better than the original, since it's not prone to breaking in half like the old one is.

The video below will go into more detail. This will explain exactly what parts you need to buy and how you can install them in your window. Just note that you will need the exact weight of your sash on hand in order to calculate the proper spring strength. You want to divide that weight by how many springs support the sash, then pick accordingly.

A contractor from Landisville PA says:
Thank you for the info Tom!I will get some parts on order shortly and fix the issue!

Greg
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.