Pivot bar

A home owner from Lisle, IL says:
I'm working to replace the spiral tilt balance, pivot shoe and pivot bar in windows that were used in new construction in 1997.

The pic I've included is the bottom corner of the window. Do you have a pivot bar that would be compatible with this? The pivot bar I found on your site seems like it would be too thick to mount on the bottom. The original was inserted inside the window and affixed with 2 screws. It has completely rusted away, so I can't get a pic of the original pivot bar.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 581F25DF-43F5-4FCE-B9C6-5AB550BBE031.jpeg
One additional question. Our windows have covers over the entire length of the balance. I'm not sure what these are called, but looking to replace. I've added a photo showing the profile. The length is about 32". They cracked when they were removed.

Thanks,
Eric
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C3FC163D-2221-418E-AB8D-18539982AB42.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Eric. I'm afraid it's impossible for me to say what pivot bar you need from this photo alone. As you can see here, we carry literally more than one-hundred kinds of pivot bars. Their length within the window sash is irrelevant; what really matters is how they fit into the pivot shoe, and the distance between the tip that fits into the pivot shoe and the center of any of the mounting hole(s). 

Is there an identical window in the house with its pivot bars still intact? If so, could you remove one and show us? If not, can you at least show us the pivot shoe for this window? The shape of the cam may at least be a place to start.

Finally, I'm afraid we don't sell balance covers like the one you show. Sorry we cannot be of more help with that particular part. 

Profile picture of Bob

Hi Eric. Thanks for getting back to me with these photos, this makes it much easier. I agree, this looks like the 26-297. Just make sure double check that distance from the tip that fits into the pivot shoe to the center of each mounting hole. All you need is one to align with your old pivot bar for this to work for you.

Bob,
Thanks for your reply and idea to check another window. I've attached a pic of a good pivot bar as well as the pivot shoe.

It looks like the pivot shoe is part number 15-134.

Part number 26-297 looks to be real close to my pivot bar. Does that look correct to you, and are those parts compatible?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AE862E56-D82D-4FE8-9FC8-08207C1009F3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8BCCE130-950B-470C-B09D-976D7A305C6E.jpeg
Cool. I placed an order. I ended up ordering replacement parts for all of the similar windows in the house. Even though only a couple are non-functional, they could all use a fresh set of hardware, given that they are 20 years old.

Thanks for the help!

Eric
Profile picture of Bob

Sounds great, Eric. Be sure to get back to us and let us know how you make out. 

We appreciate your business. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.