Pivot shoes

A handy person from Astoria, Or. says:
Hello.

This is a double sash (is hung to proper term) tilt window. The first problem is the back or upper sash would not stay up.

Anyway, in trying to look at it, I heard a snap and found that the spiral balance was not hooked up. I assume that was the snap I heard.

So, after finally getting the tilt window out (these big suckers are heavy) I was able to see all the parts. I want to replace both shoes and balances on the upper sash. The bottom is working fine for now.

I have attached several pictures of the shoes. The balance is 34" x 5/8" and the color is orange or red.

I was trying to figure out how to replace the shoes and saw that there was no way to get them out. So looking at Youtube videos, I saw that you can cut slots to remove and install the shoe. My window is Aluminum, so I'm assuming the idea is a the same, cut a slot. I'll use a Dremel tool, files, whatever.

A question I have is where to put the slot. At the top, or some other location. I realize you want to put it somewhere where it can be hidden with something. And do I only need to trim one side or the other until the shoe can be slipped out.

So, tell me what you can. Also, I need a parts lists so I can set up the order.

Thanks
Bob
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Since there isn't a cut out for your pivot shoe for the bottom sash, remove the top window stop and balance and make the cut out there. For the top sash, the cut out will be at the bottom of the window track. This is so that when you raise and lower either sash, the shoe won't accidentally fall out of the hole, since it would be impossible for it to get there.

For the shoe itself, compare the dimensions of your pivot shoe to our 15-121. The window balances could be our S600-34, which has a 5/8" diameter outer tube. The snap you heard is likely the spiral balance unhooking from the shoe. It may also be a good idea to get a charging tool like our 75-006. It will make your job easier overall. Look over the videos and media I have on the right side of this page for more information.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.