Quaker window balance

A home owner from Kansas City, MO says:
looking for replacement part for Quaker double hung window (2017). Balance 22B square
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We will need to see both ends of this balance to identify it. The 22B code helps, but we still need photos to proceed.
The plastic piece on bottom (cream colored) is the part that broke on both balances
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmm, it's still a little tough to say. The bottom piece resembles our 15-224 somewhat, but I'm not sure. Does that look right? Also, how does the balance attach at the top of the window?
Yes, probably the same plastic end piece but it looks integral to 22B. 22B attaches at top with a tension spring, that's how it broke when we tilted out the window somehow it snapped. We'd have no idea how to replace it but if we got another pair of 22B's we could find someone to fix it I bet.
Profile picture of Paul
Sometimes, when you tilt in a sash too close to the sill, you add undue pressure on the pivot, causing the nylon piece to break. You will need a customized S770-22 tilt balance with a 15-224 bottom link attached.

Should we customize this for you? The spring weight is "22B," and this balance is screwed on at the top of the window track. Check for a screw-hole up there, and let me know how many you want.
We don't see any screw holes. Curious how much the customized tilt balance is. Wish you guys were here in KC, need someone who knows what they're doing to fix. :)
Profile picture of Paul
If there are no screw holes, how does it attach? Is there a hook of some kind? You can show us a picture, too, and that will help us determine what you need. If you do want it to be custom made, just let us know how many you need and we can email you a custom order link and price quote.
Sorry for the delayed response. The piece is part of the internal pulley system which makes me think we may be out of luck with repair. We may just have to resort to using a piece of wood to hold window up when we want to keep it open.:( I'm guessing it's one of the newer models since we purchased from a Quaker dealer this year.
Profile picture of Paul
I don't think you're out of luck at all, I'm confident we can replace this. I just need to see what you're talking about so I know how to make this balance. If you can show me a picture of how it attaches at the top I'm certain I'll know what to do. At the very least, I can confirm if it can't be done.
When we open the other windows, the balance obviously is not visible (in with window) but we can see how it moves with a white string which is running through the inside of balance so it must be (attached) by the string. There are not any holes to see how it's attached . Here's a pic of broken balance which is stuck at top while window is down.
quaker balance
Profile picture of Paul
Sure, all channel balances use a string like you have. The major question is how that string attaches to the window. It could attach using either a screw tab or a hook, but I can't see what you have to confirm one way or the other. That's the last bit of information we need in order to get started. Do you have an identical window in the house that uses the same hardware you can use as a reference? If not, you will need to carefully, but firmly, pull down that balance so you can see what it has. Then, you need to gently allow it to return to its prior position. These are under a lot of tension so you have to be careful.
Yes we have 3 other identical windows in the same room (this one we we tilted out to clean, we weren't careful and in the process broke both channel balances). Attached are 2 photos, one photo of a non-broken window and one of the broken one. I am hoping this helps explain. Note that the broken one has a white plastic stub that had a head on it (that broke off) that was slipped into a special fitting at the bottom of the window.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Those pictures do not show how it attaches at the top, I'm afraid. You're still just showing the bottom. You need to pull the balance down and show us how the string attaches to the window at the top. We cannot move forward without this information. You may want to get the help of a local professional to come out and look these balances over for you.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.