Red, blue or black?

A home owner from MA says:

Replacing red tip tilt window balances. Ordered six red tip S600-28 and they work but require a lot of charging, 10 full turns each. Will the blue or black tip work better? The triple glazed windows weigh 23 lbs. Also, does swisco rebuild old ones?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We do not rebuild old balances. I am sorry to hear that the red tip did not work. I guess it may be worth a try moving up to the blue tip option. That may make life a little easier. I believe the black tip would be too strong. What are your thoughts on this? We'd love to know.

Profile picture of Paul

Great. Let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks for the response Paul. I'll order a couple blue tips and add some dust caps to see how i like them.
Hi again Paul, just a quick followup on red vs blue tip sash balances. For 23lb triple glazed 28" sashes the blue tip balances work just as well as the red tip ones, maybe even better. And the optional dustcaps should prolong their life, considering the typical black soot on the windowsills. A few comments on your installation video, its not necessary to remove the sash for balance replacement. I was able to disconnect the balance and remove it with the tiltout window at its lowest 90° position. Also figured the correct tension by pushing the spiral up fully into the tube with a fingertip then overhooking the bottom rollpin with the special tool and pulling it down to reengage the glide. Tilt the window back into position, perfect balance tension. Just placed my order for 20 more, plus dustcaps. These parts saved me thousands in window replacement costs! Best regards.
Profile picture of Paul

Awesome, thank you very much for the update, and of course for the feedback. We're glad everything's working out. If you ever need anything else, we'll do our best to help.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.