Re:door Handle

A quick learner from Woodstock, GA says:
I would like to order and different handle this time. I have replaced this handle 3 times and it wears out quick and doesn't properly and securely lock our glass sliding door.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2B8E2916-C2F0-41CA-B0FB-38210FB78418.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 59D27AF2-0022-4C12-B36E-E27146AB0ABC.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That looks to be our 82-082. According to our records you posted about this around 3 years ago. These are definitely supposed to last longer than 3 years. Can you tell me exactly what's going wrong? If these keep breaking for you then there may be something else at play that's causing your door to not function properly.

Hi Tom,

Basically, we need to replace the rollers on the door as well. The door is 15 years old. Apart, from the door, the new handle that we bought about 3 years ago did lock at first. However, now even after tightening the screw, we are still having trouble. Is there a number that I can reach you to talk more about this? We really want to order the proper door handle so our repairman can install the new rollers and door handle at the same time.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that I don't have a phone line, due to the sheer number of questions I receive a day. We pretty much have to do this online since the wait time can be a couple days at a time between responses. 

If your door has bad rollers, then that would definitely explain why your handles are breaking so soon. Damaged or worn out rollers can cause all sorts of problems with the rest of the door, not least of all the handle. 

If you don't think the 82-082 handle is what you need, though, then I'm unfortunately not able to recommend a better match. Your photos from 3 years ago were of an 82-082. If that wasn't what was originally installed on your door, then we would have no way of knowing what was. However I can tell you that surface-mount handles like the 82-082 can work on a huge variety of doors and it should probably work for you. Like I said before, these shouldn't break after 3 years. Fixing your broken rollers will probably keep this handle from breaking so quickly.

Thanks for input. I think we will go ahead and order same door handle 82-082. Then, after we replace the new rollers, we can install the new door handle.

We are planning to purchase the new rollers at Home Depot our local hardware store. Hopefully, they will have the right rollers so we don't have to wait an order them through Swisco. We can barely open our door and we have to put a piece of wood on the other side for security.
A quick learner from Minneapolis says:
Hope jumping on this old thread (for me) is Ok. We did order and replaced our handle with the 82-082 which has worked well. Now we ran into one of the same problems that causes the replacement of the entire handle - that is the little white locking lever broke. Can we order just that piece?
Thanks
Tom
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, the locking lever for the 82-082 is not sold separately. I apologize for the inconvenience.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.