Rekeying a swisco lock cylinder

A home owner from Maryland says:
We ordered some parts from you (order 1015034) including the 82-310 key cylinder. Her house uses Kwikset keys so we were hoping that we could have the lock cylinder reset to her house key. She took both to a locksmith who said that the house key has to slip into the key cylinder in order for the rekeying, and her key does not slip in. Any ideas?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
If you do have the Kwik set key type, then take a look at the 82-322. We had this special key brought in to fit the 82-310. See if that could help you to key up the lock you need. I have talked to locksmiths and some hardware stores in the past and they do say the 82-310 can be re-keyed, even if it's a little tricky.
A home owner from Maryland says:
Locksmith says i cannot rekey to my kwikset. They said lock sent is a Weiser WR-5 which is not kwikset compatible. They said maybe this key they sent could fit into my kwikset locks but my kwikset key will not fit into the lock sent. He said I can try a blank WR5 and see if it fits my locks at home. Or sounds like the best options is to buy a ?kwikset KW1 5pin cylinder? also called a ?kik cylinder 5 pin?, bring that in and they will rekey that to my current house keys.

So, Swisco, suggestions? Really looking forward to resolving this problem. Thanks in advance for your support with this.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure if we have another solution. I know in the past that I have used a Kwik set key blank made in Spain that seemed to fit the 82-310. Definitely not something that's easy to come by. You may also have your locksmith take a look at the 82-322 key blank to see if they could cut that to fit their Kwik set lock at home.
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.