Removing Alenco window

A handy person from Colorado says:
I'm helping my son with a 1980 house with OLD Alenco windows that are steaming or have cracked panes. I've searched numerous sites about removing single hung aluminum windows, but none fits the description of these windows. There are no release clips, no screws, no spiral balances, no "nothing" that I can see to allow these sashes to be removed from solid aluminum channels to have new lites put in.

I've attached a few photos that I hope will depict my description, but it appears they are kept from sliding down by friction with a plastic clip at the corners of the sash that rides on a metal rod located in the channels above the lower sash. When the lower sash is completely raised to ~3" metal stops at the top, there are no clips nor any extensions of this rod showing below the sash.

The only alternative I see is to remove the insulated lites with the sashes in place. It appears there is a plastic or aluminum insert on the outside of the glass that probably wedges it in place. The house was recently renovated with a stucco finish which makes removing the whole window cost prohibitive.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Looks like you have an older kind of window that was actually not designed to come out. This is very frustrating, but there are ways around it. Using the method I have in mind, you will need to remove your balance first.

See our 75-005 charging tool. You will need something like this to hook on a hole at the very end of the balance spiral. Once it's hooked, release the spiral from the bracket attached to the bottom of the sash. Then, remove the top sash stop and pull the balance tube out from the sash (either from the top or the bottom, whichever is easier for you). That should allow you to remove the sash by pushing it on one side and swinging the opposite side in towards you.

Hopefully these instructions aren't too confusing! Let me know if you need clarification.
A home owner from Oklahoma City, OK says:
I would like to follow up on Paul's response to a similar problem with what looks like the same type of window in my home. I have tried to find something to which to hook a charging tool from the bottom of the window sash channel but can't find anything. I am also concerned that if I am able to remove the balance, how on earth do I get it back in place? The issue I have is that all the weather stripping, both inside and outside the window on which the sash slides, has deteriated. I need to remove the sash in order to replace the weather stripping materials. Paul's answer in 2015 kind of leaves the reader hanging. Since I am a very visual person, are there some photos or diagrams as to how these windows are built which I can reference? I have attached three of my own photos and can send more if it would help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210720_183032.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210722_090150.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210722_090236.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

These older builders' grade windows were not made to be disassembled by the manufacturers in hopes that once the parts started to wear down and break, you'd need to replace the entire window. We don't think that was fair to homeowners like yourself, so we do our best to find workarounds to repair these older windows rather than replace them, but there are limitations. 

There may be a way to access the weatherstripping from the corners of the sash without removing it. Take a look at the video below to see if you might be able to create a cutout in the corners of the sash to remove the original weatherstripping. If not, removing the sash may be necessary at the end of the day. In either case, we would strongly recommend hiring a professional to access the integrity of the window and determine the best course of action. I'm sorry that we can't offer a straightforward solution but we wish you the best of luck with your repair. 

How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.