Replace coil balances (Also known as constant force balances).

A quick learner from Hohenwald, TN says:
I am needing to replace some window coil balances (Also known as constant force balances).

I am enclosing a picture of the measurements of the coil balance that I made from one of the broken window's coil balances, I think the measurements that I have made are close but I was using a tape measure.

The complete windows themselves are 22 1/2' wide and 35" high, the windows have 2 sashes each, both sashes tilt in and are double paned, the bottom sash in the windows are 19" wide and 17" high, the upper sash in the windows are 19" wide and 16" high, each window has one screen.

The windows are aluminum and I do not know how much the sashes weigh, but looking at the printing on the coil balances I would guess they each weigh 4.5 to 9 pounds each.

On one end of the broken coil balance is printed #4..5 35" P and before that some of the printing is worn off but I can make out PA? ??32208 I think it was PAT 5232208 before the printing worn off but I am not sure. On the other end of the coil balance is printed #4.5 35" P 15:25 D14 SM5 28 MAR 11.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to say that I can't identify what you have based on the given information. Would it be at all possible to see a photo of the balance itself? Can you also show me a clear picture of the pivot shoe? The pivot shoe acts as a kind of "key" and will allow me to pick out the right coil for the job. In that sense the dimensions provided aren't wholly needed; as long as we can pick out the right shoe, those details will be well accounted for.

As you can see from my pictures the only thing broken is the coil balance, the pivot shoe and the coil support are fine.

I was looking at:

4.5 lbs Series 160 Coil Balance
Product Code: S160-4

or

4.5 lbs Titan Series 195 Coil Balance
Product Code: S195-4

but I do not know what the difference is between the two coil balances.

As I look at the pivot shoe in my pictures, it looks similar to your:
Titan Coil Balance Pivot Shoe
Product Code: 15-263
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230415_082742.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230415_082817.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230415_083024.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230415_083053.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230415_083110.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! These photos are a huge help. I don't think you have the Titan 15-263 and Series 195; these are only used on very specific windows and that does not appear to be the case here. Instead, I think your pivot shoe is our 15-228, which is made to be used with the Series 160. That would be my top pick.

Thanks, since my post I have also measured my pivot shoe and I can see that although the Titan 15-263 pivot shoe does look very similar to my pivot shoe and even the keying holes looks similar, that pivot shoe is a different size from mine.

My pivot shoe is 1 1/4" Wide x 1 1/2" High x 1/2" Thick whereas the Titan 15-263 pivot shoe is 15/16" Wide x 1" High x 9/16" Thick.

The ends of both coil balances, the Series 160: S160-4 and also the Titan Series 195: S195-4, do look to be keyed alike, meaning that either coil balance will key into a similarly keyed pivot shoe despite the pivot shoes being of different sizes, is this correct?

I think you are correct, my pivot shoe seems very similar to the 15-228 which is 1 1/4 Wide x 1 1/2" High x 17/32 Thick, even from what I can see of the keyed holes in the on line pictures of it they seem to match and I may have been off a little with my thickness measurement of 1/2".

So it looks like I need the 4.5 lbs Series 160 Coil Balance Product Code: S160-4.

Thanks
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.