Replace flush mount grip with handles for easier access on both inside and outside sliding door

A home owner from Saint Johns, FL says:
Hello,

I am looking to replace the flush mount inset sliding door grip with something that has white handles for both inside and outside access. I believe my current set is 82-002WK.

I believe the sliding doors are Alenco PeachTree City. The numbers on the label are:
4780 7701DF30JC 419233-9

Is this possible to do? If so, what would you recommend? Additionally, I am not the most handy person; how complicated would replacing this be? Is there a video instruction that you could point me to?

Thank you in advance!!!!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7466.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7463.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7460.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7546.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7468.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The project you describe is not possible, unfortunately. Your door is specifically designed to only work with one type of handle set, and that's the 82-002WK. The reason for this is because if you were to remove what you have now, you'd expose a huge rectangular hole that precludes the use of any other style. Short of getting a new door, you don't really have a way around that. 

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That's just how your door is designed to work.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. That is unfortunate, are you aware of any hardware that I can attach to the door without replacing the lock? For example, could I remove the screws and add the Swisco 88-009 pull and then use longer screws to account for the added distance?

Thank you in advance!
Profile picture of Tom

The 88-009 pull will work perfectly well, but it's only designed to work on the interior. These locks cannot take an exterior pull, unfortunately.

Ok, great! Do you think I need to use longer screws? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Thank you again!
Profile picture of Tom

The 88-009 actually comes with its own screws. They should be fully compatible with your existing hardware and get the handle working as intended.

A home owner from Charlotte says:
I have this same door, do you know which rollers I would need in order to replace mine?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Alenco Peachtree has been associated with our 81-056 in the past; but the only way to verify if this is what you have is to remove the old rollers and compare to see if they match up. If they do not, please send us pictures of your existing roller, and we'll try and find something better. The video below shows how to remove and replace sliding glass door rollers.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.