Replacement Balance for Tilt-out Window

A quick learner from Chicago, IL says:
I need to replace a balance for a tilt-out window. I've looked hard for identifiers that indicate the manufacturer, but I've found none. The window was installed when the house was built in 2008.

The window is a double hung tilt-out, roughly 35" by 77". I'm sending a picture of the balance, which is from the lower sash. It's 37 3/8" long, 5/8" wide and 1/2" deep. It's got a spring with a 4-stranded pulley arrangement. Do you have a replacement that would serve?

Also, if you have any tips for getting these balances in and out of the molded plastic channel without disassembling the window, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
John
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, John. See our 15-216 pivot shoe to start out. I'm not sure about the balance, it may need to be custom made. To confirm, can you show me the window track where the balance is? Can you also show me how it attaches to both the shoe and track?
A quick learner from Chicago, IL says:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Looks like the 15-216 pivot shoe is a perfect match for mine.

The balance has a pin that runs through it at the top end. That pin is held by a long S-clip. The balance just hangs on that -- no screws at any point. There is a similar pin through the bottom of the balance that secures the (now broken) fitting holding the bottom two pulleys of the block and tackle.

I'm uploading pictures of the window track (different window). In the upper track you can see a bit of the balances on the left half of each slot. They don't appear in the picture of the lower half of the track because they don't reach down that far.

Thanks,
John
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
To replace the balances, first tilt in and remove both the top and bottom sashes. You would then place a flat head screwdriver in the metal cam of the pivot shoe and turn it to unlock it. This will allw you to slowly bring it up to the balance. Make sure to do this gently, but firmly. If you just let go of the screwdriver, the shoe will shoot up the jamb track!

Now, the jamb liners are held in by the pressure of the sashes, so you should be able to just pull them out of the wood frame. Unhook the balance at the top and slide it out with the shoe attached. You can reuse your old S-clip and pivot shoe if you want and install them to the new balance. Slide the new balance in until the S-clip hooks on the jamb liner where it went originally, put the jamb liner back in the window, and finally use your screwdriver to bring the shoe down low enough that you can put the sash back in.
A quick learner from Chicago says:
Thanks for the detailed instructions on handling the jamb liners.

Any thoughts about a replacement for the broken balance?

Thanks,
John
Profile picture of Paul
I think there may be too possibilities, depending on the shape of the metal channel. Take a look at this page. You don't need to click on anything, just look at the two pictures, for a Plain type channel and Ribbed type channel. Which type do you have? I can't quite tell.
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.