Replacement Balances

A handy person from Germantown, Ohio says:

Hello,

I am looking at your Series 750 Channel Balances This is the SWISCO Series 750 Channel Balance Sash Support System (also known as a block and tackle balance) for tilt windows.I need 4 that say 25 BSI but measure 26 inches long and 4 that say 15 BSI but measure 16 inches long. The 750 Channel Balances do not come in the lengths I need. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Andy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 25 BSI.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2604.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2601.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named .937 wide.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named clip to hold balencer in place.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Andy. This is not the Series 750 balance. The terminal clip at the end of the cord is a totally different style, designed to interact with a very different type of shoe. We can supply this balance, but it has to be a custom order since it's not a stock configuration.

Before we go any further, I had a few questions. First, can you tell me how many of these balances you needed? Can you also tell me the exact weight of the sash? Finally, I see you're showing a hook, but it's off by itself and I'm not sure how it relates to the balance. Is this how it installs at the top? If so, can you show me? I'd like to see an undamaged balance for this, if possible.

Hi Tom,

I will need a total of four of each size. I tried weighing the sash on our bathroom scales and it didn't even register. Can you suggest a better way to weigh it? Yes the hook holds the top of the balance. In the mean time I'll work on getting another balance out and try to not damage it.

Thanks,

Andy
Hi Tom,
I thought of another question. Since these will be special balances would it just be cheaper to replace the windows?

Andy
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us, Andy. It probably won't be cheaper to get new windows, no. That could cost you hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars. These balances probably won't cost more than $20 to $25 bucks each. Maybe a little more, but I need to know those weights first.

Removing the sash and placing it on a scale should be sufficient. I'm not sure why it didn't register. These are fairly large glass panels we're talking about. Even the smaller sash should be around 5 to 10 pounds, which should be more than enough to show up on a scale. I would try again, just to be sure.

Hi Tom,

I figured out if I weigh myself and then hold a sash and weigh myself again and subtract the two it will give me the weight of the sash. So I did that and the sashs for both windows are 10 pounds apiece. I was also able to remove an undamaged balance from the long windows and one from the short windows as well. I have uploaded pictures.

Thanks,

Andy
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2609.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2613.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2614.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2608.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2612.JPG

Hi Tom,

I forgot to mention that the hook connects with the top rivet in the balance and hooks over the top of the side piece of the window.

If you would like I can send you one of each of the old parts.

Andy

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Andy. So what we'll be doing is sending you an S751-26 with a 25R stamp, which carries 10 pounds, as well as an S751-16 with a 15R stamp, which also carries 10 pounds. We will also be swapping out the shoe they come with for the 15-043 terminal clip. Does that look right to you?

I'll email two purchase links now according to these specs. Let me know if you had any questions or wanted to make any changes.

Oh, and one last thing before I forget: these won't come with those hooks at the top, but they will come with the rivets. You should be able to reuse your old hooks, but if that's not possible you'll need to add new ones to your cart separately. See our 19-029.

Tom,

I would also like to replace the pivot shoes, I know one is broken and they all look worn. Which do you recomend for my application?

Thanks,

Andy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named .5 inches thick.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named .937 wide.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2 inches long.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2595.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN2607.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

This pivot shoe is a little weird. I'm afraid I couldn't find an exact match. We'll have to try to use a substitute; before I recommend anything, can you tell me the exact width and thickness of this shoe? I would wager it's 1" thick, but I can't eyeball the thickness. Maybe 9/16", or even more. Let me know and I can try to find something that will fit in your channel the same way.

Tom the name of the photo files has the dimensions
Profile picture of Tom

You're right, I'm very sorry for missing that. I wasn't too far off, but a 1/2" thickness is a little troublesome. We don't have anything in that size. I would say the best match available in our inventory is the 15-173, but this is 31/32" x 9/16". That's a little bigger in both width and thickness. Do you think you could get that to work?

Tom,

If that's as close as you can get I will make it work.

Thanks,

Andy
Tom,

I just ordered everything. Thank you for your help.

Andy
Hi Tom,

This is Andy Rohrbach again. The items I ordered are now installed and work great. I ended up only needing to replace 1 pivot shoe so far. I was able to alter the ones you suggested to make them work. I found 2 more windows that need new balancers. So I need to order 4 more of the S751-16 with a 15R stamp, to carry 10 pound sashes and swap out the shoe they come with for the 15-043 terminal clip.

That should get all our windows working again.

Thank you for you help,

Andy
Profile picture of Tom

That's great news, Andy! I'll email you that new order link right now.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.