Replacement Channel Balance

A home owner from North Bergen, NJ says:
Looking for some help on identifying the correct replacement channel balance, top and shoe for my windows. Did best with photos but if they're not clear enough please let me know and I'll do my best to reshoot them elsewhere.
Channel is measuring 29 and 7/8ths.
Channel width is measuring about 9/16ths.
Has marking 2040000C with upside down U following.

Any help appreciated!

Best,
Chris
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Chris. We should be able to help you with this, though it will have to be custom made. I'm thinking a custom channel balance with our 15-003 bottom shoe and 19-020 top. Look these parts over and tell me if you agree. Can you just confirm the length? With your stamp, the metal channel should be only 21" long. If it is 29-7/8", I will need the weight of the sash so that we can calculate the proper spring strength. We would also likely go with a 30" length.

Oh, one last thing. Please let me know how many you need. That way once we get this information I can just shoot over the custom balance form. Thanks!
A home owner from North Bergen, NJ says:
Hi Paul -

I reviewed the 15-003 bottom shoe and 19-020 top, and they both look good. I checked another channel balance I have with me and the stamp is reading 2940000C (not 2040000C), measures roughly 29 7/8 but I think rounding to 30" should be alright. The spring in the balance measures 14" if that helps with calculating strength.

I will need 4 of these balances.

If you still need me to head out to the property to weigh the sash for spring strength, please let me know and I will try to get out there next week.

Also, if you think its worth sending you one of the balances to verify I can do that as well. I posted something to that effect earlier but it seems the post isn't up here, so maybe it didn't go through.

Thanks again!

Best,
Chris

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, and for clarifying the what the stamp reads. I'm afraid the length of the spring has no direct bearing on its strength, but now that I know it reads 2940 instead it makes a lot more sense. I agree that 30" should work. Two 30" long balances with a 2940 option can carry a sash weight of 23 through 28 pounds. Does that sound good to you?

I will send you an email containing a custom product link for 4 balances made to these specifications. Just to reiterate, this will be two 30" long channel balances with our 15-003 and 19-020 attached and a 2940 option.

Having the balance in hand wouldn't really tell us much, I'm afraid. We've already identified the nylon attachments, which is the only thing we'd be able to really tell. Spring strength is something you can only verify by weighing the sash. You may want to weigh yours just to be 100% sure that the 2940 option we're going with will work, but it's up to you. It's possible that your stamp is something weird or non-standard, and that your balance is meant to carry a sash of a completely different weight. Stranger things have happened. Either way, I'll send you the custom order link and you can decide what you'd like to do from there. Let me know!
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.