Replacement Coil Balance

A home owner from Pennsylvania says:
Hello,

I am in need of some help. Both of my coils snapped so I can only keep my window open by propping it up. I hope the attached photo helps to show what I need.

Thank you for your time.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, we can definitely help. Your shoe looks like our 15-087, which uses our Series 180 spring. The spring is probably all you need to replace. You'll need the number off the old spring to confirm the best Series 180 option.

One other question. I don't see any place that opens up the narrow passage to remove said parts. Am I going to have to cut an area out in order to remove them?
Profile picture of Tom

If your jamb track does not already have a cut out, then making one is an option. We also sell jamb spreaders, in case that would be easier. See the videos related to this page for more information. We walk you through both options step by step.

Thanks, I got the jamb cut open and removed a pivot shoe and spring.

The pivot shoe shows
PAT5 353,548 and also has a "7" stamped on the opposite side. Since the coil is pretty strong to unravel, I can't find any markings on that. Hopefully that helps.
Profile picture of Tom

The stamp on the shoe itself may indicate a coil spring with a support strength of 7 pounds, but this is just an educated guess. Assuming your sash is supported by one spring on each side, this would suggest a sash weight of 14 pounds. You should weigh your sash to be 100% sure. If it's 14 pounds, then our S180-7 is what you want. If it weighs anything else, then let me know and we can do the math.

Thanks,Tom. I'll take a look at the link.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.