Replacement Window Balancer

A home owner from Seattle, WA says:
Hello there-

I have Milgard windows (3'x4') and one of my balances just broke on one side. I took the old balance out and the only markings I saw on it were (38 4 Caldwell). I took measurements and the metal bar is 39", the channel is 5/8" wide at the back and 1/2" wide inside the spring channel.

It looks like I may need to take it out again and look at the shoe assemblies to make sure I get the correct replacement. However, looking at your site it looks like S380-39 with option 3840 is what I will need.

Can you make a recommendation based on the markings that are on the current balance and the measurements I have provided?

Thanks Much!!
Brian
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hi Brian,

Yes, looking at the 38 4 original stamp, you most likely need the 3840 option.

To check, remove the window sash and place it on a scale. A pair of S380-39 balances with stamp 3840 will carry a window sash weight range of 24 through and including 30 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.

If you are unsure of the series you selected, please post a few detailed images of the balance fittings with detailed measurements for us to research.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.