Replacement for Caldwell balance

A quick learner from San Jose, CA says:
I need to replace four Caldwell block and tackle channel balances that are about 15 years old. On the metal front there are printed numbers and letters "31 3 DQ Caldwell". Width is 1/2" and metal end-to-end length is 32". It comes with winged top and bottom pieces. I have attached 3 pictures to show the top, bottom and stamp.

Is S385-32 the right replacement part from your catalog?

User submitted photos of their 31 3 DQ Caldwell window balance.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

I believe you are right. The replacement you need looks to be our S385-32 with option 3130.

Before you choose that balance series, I want to you make sure you do not have the S380. The only difference between the S380 and the S385 is the balance shoe attachment. The S380 features the 15-005 shoe and the S385 features the 15-004 shoe. Take a look at each of the product pages for those two shoes and make sure you do indeed have the 15-004.

Let me know if you need any help.
A quick learner from Seattle, WA says:
At this point I'm cross-eyed:
In measuring my existing shoe my best measurement is 2/32 ie. a little over an inch marker and wee bit less than 3/32. Given this scenario, would you go for a 15-005 or 15-004. Yes the devils in the details ...

Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the information! With those measurements in mind, I would certainly go for the deeper 15-004, bottom balance fitting. Therefore, you should look at our S385-32 with the option 3130.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)