Replacement for old awning type windows

A contractor from Florida says:

Hi! I recently bought a house built in 1969 and I think the crank may be original. It is a Pan Am and it might be 6007 for numbers on it. The crank part does not close the window now and I'm trying to replacing the entire crank so that I can operate the window. It is a right side window crank.

I obtained what I needed at a True Value store, but it was probably 1/18" too big.

I'm at my wits end!

Can you help? If you need more photos, I can take more.

Kind regards, Patty 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I think we can replace this operator for you. Before we recommend anything, can you extend the link arm from the operator casing and show me a picture of it? In the meantime, you can see our entire selection here. Some promising possible replacements, based on what I see now, are our 39-017, 39-074, or 39-419. We have detailed measurements on each store page you can use as a reference.

A home owner from Florida says:
Hi Tom,

Here are a few additional photos.

Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! Looks like the hole at the end of your arm is a bit on the small side, so our 39-017 may be what you want. Carefully go over our dimensions and let me know if they differ in any way.

Thank you so much, Tom.

I'll check out the part and crossing my fingers it's the answer to my prayers! :)

Hi Tom!

It looks like the measurements of my old crank differ in two places from the measurements of part #39-017 on your site.

The 2-3/8" arm IS ACTUALLY 2-1/2"

The 1-5/16" bottom hole spacing IS ACTUALLY 1-1/2"

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Patty

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I couldn't find a closer match to your dimensions. Regarding the link arm, I don't think that size difference will matter too much. The linkage has some play, which means you can get away with more than you'd think.

The bottom holes are another matter. They really do need to be exact. 1-5/16" and 1-1/2" are a pretty big difference. Would it be possible to redrill one of the screw holes?

Hi Dave,

Right now, in this old house, there are screens that are pretty much bolted on the windows. I'm seriously thinking that I am just going to have to have windows installed because no one wants to work on these old ones...and I'm now understanding why! LOL! They are a pain!

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Kind regards,

Patty 

How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.