Replacement gasket for G-U doors

A home owner from Los Altos Hills, CA says:

We have G-U sliding doors and the seals where the vertical part of the door meets the jamb are failing - they are very sticky and pull out of the kerf they sit in when the door is opened.

I've looked around and can't find anything equivalent. I've tried a different kind of kerfed gasket but it was too thick and prevented the door from closing all the way.

Do you have anything that would work in this application?

The gasket has a Y cross-section, with the kerf insert the base of the Y and a piece of rubber extending in the other two branches of the Y. Most gaskets I can find extend only in one direction and fold back on themselves, which make them hard to squash enough to get the door closed.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200514_141554.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200514_141619.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that I couldn't find anything like this. Can you tell me the dimensions of the end profile of this glazing?

The kerf insert is ~3/8" deep. The outward facing portion is not quite 1/2" wide.
Maybe 5/16" on the wider branch and 3/16" on the thinner branch.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that I could not locate an exact match for the weather seal in you patio door. Do you think you could use the 58-056E as a substitute? If not, I recommend contacting the supplier of the door or the manufacturer to see if they can supply. And one last thought, you say it gets sticky from the heat. Try using a silicone spray on it to see if that helps.

That 58-056E looks like the one I already tried, it's too thick. When installed the door can't close enough to latch it. I guess I could perform surgery on it to hack off half or more of the foam part.

Thank you for all the help!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Even though you said your seal is for a door, it looks very small. I'm wondering if you could use something like our 58-053, which is designed for windows. 

You can order a sample of the 58-053 from this page. That will let you try it out and know for sure.

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.