Replacement locks

A home owner from the US says:
Hello SWISCO Team!

After 20 years levers of our window locks start breaking off and I need to replace the first two locks.

Do you think the 38-095 "Maxim Multi-Point Lock, Medium Slider" is a good replacement for the broken lock in the attached image? Sizes i measured are penciled in in blue.

Is there a chance that my existing screws will fit the new lock?

Stay safe!
Jürgen
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200608_182747.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200608_182638.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Jurgen. The 38-095 won't work for you since the fork extends too far from the bottom lip of the housing. Can you confirm that dimension? It's very important.

Are you looking for the 1.44in I had marked in the one of the images I sent?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Yes, that's right. That's only about 1-7/16", which falls short of the 1-5/8" we show in our diagram. I'd like you to double check that you aren't just measuring the size of the fork; you also need to include that lip in the housing.

I took the lock out one more time, Tom. But I am still getting numbers below 1.5in.

The first image shows a 1/4in grid. The wide angle of the phone camera makes it look like part and caliper are not close to lines but they were right on. According to that setup, the length is 1.4655in.

I also looked at where the fork engages. It looks like there is about 0.145in space before the fork hits the window.

Together that is around 1.6in but still a hair shorter then the 1.625 you need.

What is the fork made from? Some kind of hard plastic? I could grind off one or two 1/64" from the tip of the fork in case it hits the window.

What do you think?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200612_110245.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200612_110555.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200612_110610.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Taking another look at your casement lock, I believe you have an older style Roto brand lock. Take a look at the 38-139 to see if this matches up closer to yours. The fork projection on this is 1-1/2". It's still a little big but might be our best bet.

Alternate view of 38-139
Alternate view of 38-139
Thank you Dave. I'll check whether these might fit. I assume the 38-139 can be installed left or right handed?

Our locks and operators do not carry any brand names, but they may actually be Truth hardware. The arm and tracks have stampings of Truth part numbers "30744A" and "40941-A".

Attached photos of locks and operators from two side-by-side windows.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Locks.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Operators.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

The 39-139 can work for either the left or right hand side interchangeably. 

We probably have a good match for that operator, too, but in order to identify it we would need to see it out of the window. That way we can see the whole mechanism. Like the lock, there is more to it behind the window frame.

How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.