Replacement part for Kinro Window Balances

A home owner from Belen, New Mexico says:

Please help identify the part I should order to replace this Kinro Window Balance. These are the best photos I could get. It took me forever to figure out how to upload them so I hope they are sufficient.

The stamp shows 26 4, the length without end pieces is 27", and width is 1/2".

When I couldn't close and lock my non-tilt windows, I had a handyman replace the balances. But he could only get generic balances and they are very tricky since they don't have end pieces to guide them up and down. I was so happy to find Swisco so I can get the "real deal" to open and close my windows easily.

Thank you so much for your help! Andrea 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named KINRO BALANCE PHOTOS.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Andrea!

Thanks so much for the kind words! We're always happy to help. 

With this combination of attachments, you could have either an S380-27 or S385-27 channel balance. You’ll need to measure as shown below. The Series 380 has a 1" bottom attachment, and the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" attachment. You'll also need a spring strength option of 2640.

If you have any further questions just let us know! 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Hi Emily,
Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate your help. I took another photo to help make the final determination on whether to order the S-380 or S-385. I want to be sure I get the right one. I'm not sure whether to measure to the OUTside or the INside of the plastic wing piece. I tried to show what I mean in the photo. I hope you can clarify which one I should order by looking at my photo.
Thanks again!
Andrea
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named KINRO BALANCE END PHOTO.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid it's very difficult to get measurements from photos. I actually tried to read a customer's measurement from a photo the other week and accidentally read it wrong! I wouldn't want to make that mistake again and have you order the incorrect balance. I would recommend using a regular tape measurer to ensure you're getting the correct measurement as well. You'll also need to measure the entire depth of your bottom shoe which would include the wing. Let me know if this helps

Hi Emily,
I'm learning a lot!
So if I understand, I should measure to the OUTside of the plastic wing so I include the entire depth of the bottom shoe and use a regular tape measure to be accurate.
Have I got it?
Thanks again,
Andrea
Profile picture of Emily

Yes, I believe so. You can also get someone to help you measure too if you wanted to get a second opinion. 

Thanks again Emily for your help.
I just ordered one set of the S385 since the measurement is definitely more than an inch.
Andrea
Hi Emily,

I need help with a new problem. I ordered the S385-27, which are the correct size and fit perfectly. However, when installing them on the third window, the part inside the top of the removable window frame broke on one side of the window. It looks like it can be unscrewed and replaced so I need to order this part, but don't know what it is called or where to find it on your website. I'm attaching photos - one of the broken part and one of the other side where the part didn't break.

Thank you for your help!
Andrea
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken Part.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Intact Part.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Sure thing, Andrea. This pat is called a top sash guide and yours is a match for our 18-171. I think this is just what you need to repair this window but let me know if you had any questions.

Hi Emily,

Thank you. I didn't think to look for your answer in the thread so I just saw it this morning. I'll get to ordering so that I can call my window repairs complete!

Thanks,
Andrea
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.