Replacement part for window suspension

A home owner from Chelsea Michigan says:
My windows are at least 14 years old and I do not see any manufacturer brand on them. Some of them became very difficult to lower. When I used more force, a plastic part broke and the spring loaded unit in the frame came loose as shown in Window1.jpg. The part appears to have been held in place by a screw through the plastic and the additional force broke the plastic part from its screw (see Window2-4). I need replacement parts for about six windows and I'd like advice on how to lubricate the others to prevent this from happening to them.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. The plastic part that has come off is known as a top sash guide. The spring loaded unit in your first photo is known as a channel balance. Based on what you described, it sounds like the springs are shot in your windows. Lubrication may help, but it won't fix the problem. Channel balances only have a lifespan of around 10-15 years, and it sounds like yours have about hit their limit. If all your windows were installed at the same time, you can expect more balances to fail in the future.

Fortunately, we sell numerous replacements. To start with, see our 18-107 top sash guide pair. These look similar to what you have, but you will need to compare our dimensions to yours to confirm. As for the balance, I can't be sure. Watch the video below to see how to properly identify what you have, then look over our selection of 1/2" non tilt window channel balances here.
How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.