Replacement part needed

A home owner from Kensington, NH says:

Please review my attached pictures and notice that the U-channel, the metallic cover for the balance (extension spring) is off-center. This condition actuates the locking mechanism partially - pushing the brake bars to the window frame - and thereby making it very difficult to move the window up or down.

I am looking for either additional spongy, self-adhesive on one side, and a smooth slippery surface on the opposing side to bond to the existing pads, hoping that I will center the U-channel and with it the locking mechanism, remedying my problem of extremely difficult to move some of my windows. Is there maybe a thicker replacement pad available that would solve this issue, as well? I would prefer that solution to my issues.

The spongy strip is rather firm and

resist

compression. The present thickness is not thick enough to position and keep the U-channel and the attached locking mechanism in its design location - the center of the window/frame.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me. It would also help if I could get the manufacturer of the spongy pad. They may have various thicknesses of this material to help with my problem.

Regards,

Helgard

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The stick on pads you mentioned were just meant to align the balance while you install the sash. They don't otherwise affect the operation of the window.

Looks like you have the older style S795-18 (18B) tilt window channelbalance. The trouble you have might be caused by the spring inside the channel balance. Tilt in and remove the sash, then remove the balance and look in the back at the channel. Is the spring rusted or damaged in any way? Maybe give it a spray of oil to loosen it. Also spray the window channel with silicone (don't use oil for this, since oil attracts dirt and could make things worse). Then re-install the balance and sash and try opening and closing it. If it's still difficult to open and close, you probably need new balances.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.