Replacement part(s)

A quick learner from Wenonah NJ says:

Hi,

I have allot of windows that have turned into guillotines! I'm just recently trying to analyze how the parts work. From the what I see, have the twisted rods come out of the section below? The twisted uprights have a blue color at the end. What do I need to replace? Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Wenonah NJ

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190511_094203.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Jeff. So it sounds like you might need to replace both your spiral balances and pivot shoes. Let's define some terms to start. The spiral balances are the twisted rods you refer to. They are spring-loaded mechanisms that enable the opening and closing of the window. At the bottom, the spiral balances connect to what's called a pivot shoe. Pivot shoes are sort of the fulcrum of your window's operation. They have cams that connect to your window sash, enabling you to tilt the window in for cleaning, as well as connecting to the spiral balance to allow for raising and lowering.

If you can no longer keep your window open, chances are your spiral balances may be broken; but you should try reinserting the tips into the pivot shoe. If the window still can't stay open, then you'll need to replace your spiral balances. We can help you do this, but we will need to see the balance removed from the window. The diameter and length of the outer tube, not including the colored tip, is needed for identification; a closeup photo of the colored tip would also be useful. 

If you need to replace your pivot shoes as well, we will also need to see it out of the window, with the width and thickness measured. 

For instructions on removal of both spiral balances and the pivot shoes, see the videos below. 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

You are very welcome, Jeff. All of the parts you are referring to are available right on our website and ready to ship out. Once you have compiled all the hardware you need, get back in touch with us with some photos and measurements, and we will go from there.

A quick learner from Wenonah NJ says:

Thank you sooooo much for this great information! I can see how this all works now. I feel that I should be able to do the repairs. I should probably try reinserting the spiral balances first, but I will need the tool for that. Also, the length of the entire spiral balance in the tube is 34 inches, with an inch of spiral sticking out. If I look inside the tube I can see the end cap is blue. Are all these parts available? Thanks again and I will follow up.

Jeff 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.