Replacement pivot shoe

A home owner from Maryland says:
I am replacing some spiral balances in my single hung tilt windows. I already bought some series 900 3/8" spiral balances from Swisco, and now I realize that I need to replace some of my pivot shoes as well. However, I cannot find an exact match. My existing pivot shoes are 1 and 15/16" tall, 3/8" thick, and 31/32" wide when I take them out of the channel. Can you help me find an exact match among your products? My existing shoes look like your product 15-045, but that product is just slightly wider, at 1".
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we don't have anything that matches those specifications. Our 15-212 is probably the closest match in our inventory but that's only 15/16" wide. Do you think you could still use it?

Maybe... how wide is the 15-212 when the window is tilted out? 15/16" when the window is vertical will be fine, but I do need the pivot shoe to jam/lock inside the channel when the window is tilted out.

If the 15-212 does not work, can I get the 15-045 and gently sand down one side to reduce width to 31/32"?

Also, is there a quality/longevity difference between the 15-045 and the 15-212? I'm trying to understand why the 15-212 is 60% more expensive than the 15-045.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that I don't know the exact width of the 15-212 when the cam is rotated. Generally we just go by the width, once that matches then everything should work fine. Considering the discrepancy between your width and ours then it's safe to assume you'd have a discrepancy with the lock width, as well. These shoes don't really vary in that sense.

As for sanding the shoe down, that's definitely a possibility but keep in mind that altering such parts means you cannot return them for a refund if they don't work. At this stage, you may want to send me a photo of your old shoe so that I can have a better idea of what you have. I may recognize it by design alone. Working with dimensions alone as we are, all I can do is guess.

Finally, concerning the price difference between the two shoes, I think it's just a matter of who made them. Some manufacturers charge more for their products than others. We source our parts from companies all over America and our pricing is based off of the costs they set. Such a price difference for two similar parts isn't all that uncommon.

Yes, certainly. Here are some pictures.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174423613.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174445683.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174456497.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174510412.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174528038.jpg
And here are some more pictures with a ruler to show the width
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174722241.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174742583.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174806279.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174836000.jpg
And one each of the thickness and height, for completeness.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174900148.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210708_174922948.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! These photos are a huge help. This honestly looks like a dead ringer for the 15-045. I feel pretty confident that's what you want. Considering the difference in width, we're only talking 1/32". Odds are we can attribute that to wear. I don't think the manufacturer would make this exact shoe with only such a small difference.

Okay, I'll try the 15-045. I'm not the original owner of the house, and none of the paperwork I inherited mention who made the windows, which may have helped.
Just wanted to follow up here that 15-045 was exactly what I needed, they fit perfectly into the existing grooves. Thanks for the advice!
Profile picture of Tom

Fantastic, I'm glad to hear it! If you ever needed anything else, you know where to find me.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.