Replacement rollers for approx 35 year old Ray Door sliding door

A home owner from Wichita, Kansas says:
2 1/4" wide X 1 1/4" tall X 7/16" thick

No part numbers. Two rollers per door. Ray Door manufactured by James Ray Company of Wichita, Kansas. Firm no longer in business.

Thanks,

Michael
User submitted photos of sliding door rollers
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon, Michael. It actually looks like this is just the inside portion of a larger roller unit. There should be an outer housing still in the door. Could you double check for me? I'd have to see the whole thing together.
A home owner from Wichita, KS says:
Tom,

Sorry for the delay in response but I had an unexpected death in the family.

I was unable to extract the roller housing from the door but have included pictures that may help. Please note the bolt head that appears to enter the roller housing from the glass side of the door frame. That bolt appears to retain the housing.

Thanks,

Mike
A customer submitted image of their roller housing.
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Mike, good to hear from you again. I'm sorry for your loss.

Now, it's hard to make out exactly what this housing is, but I think I have an idea. I think you should check out either our 81-023 or 81-004 and see if either of these could work as a possible replacement. Let me know what you think.
Tom,

Thanks for your rapid response. Just wanted to follow-up with you to see if you received the additional two picture I sent you. Also, I mistakenly referred to the portion of the bolt that retains the housing as the 'bolt head' rather than the 'bolt shaft'. The bolt head appears to be on the un-exposed end of the shaft.

Also, regarding the potential replacements, is it possible to use rollers with different dimensions as replacements? I would think the depth or thickness of the roller would have to be the same.

Thanks,

Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Not a problem! We received all of your pictures, yes. The 81-023 and 81-004 are the closest ones I could find. As for the dimensions, you will need a replacement roller whose dimensions match your original. We list all the dimensions for the 81-023 and 81-004, so I recommend that you carefully compare them both to your original hardware to see if either could fit.
Tom,

I retrieved the roller housing from the bottom 'rail' and it's dimensions appear to match up with 81-004.

I'd like you to take a look at the new pictures and confirm 81-004 appears to be the correct part.

Thanks,

Mike
User submitted a photo of a patio door roller.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks, Mike. Looks like you've got everything you need, but I can't tell if our 81-004 is the right match based on this image. Could I see it from a few different angles?
Tom,

Sorry, attached are the other pictures I thought I had sent you.

Mike
User submitted photos of patio door rollers.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the extra images. Yes, it looks like our 81-004 and 81-023 are the closest possible matches that we have. Now, I can't guarantee that either will work, but I don't think we have anything closer. You will have to carefully compare your dimensions to those we show for both of the suggested rollers and see which is better.
A home owner from Wichita Ks says:
So, question to Home Owner from Wichita ks, did the roller work out, I have Ray Doors from 1965 or so and need new rollers on my door.
A handy person from Wichita, KS says:
Hi Tom, We have a steel Ray Dor sliding patio door with rollers that look just like Michael's back in 2013. Our door is 40 yrs old. You suggested 81-004 to him. Is that the same product you still suggest? We also need weatherstripping for the bottom of the door.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230916_111512.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230916_111449.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Your roller does appear to match our 81-004, yes. At least in terms of design. You should still check our dimensions to ensure that everything lines up. If they differ, let me know and I can try to look into alternative options for you.

As for the weatherstripping, I'm afraid I don't recognize that style. Could that sample possibly be damaged? If so, can we see an undamaged shot of it that shows the end profile?

Dimensions for 81-004
Dimensions for 81-004

Dimensions for 81-004
Dimensions for 81-004

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.