Replacement screen/glass panel locking disc

A quick learner from Massachusetts says:
The photo shows a disc that is screwed into an old wooden door frame and rotates to secure interchangeable screen and glass panels also set in wooden frames. There are four of these for each panel.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230312_174559.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This reminds me very strongly of our 16-028 Yale Stop, but I'm not sure it's a good fit. The 16-028 is meant to be used as a removal clip for very old aluminum windows, not wood doors.

Would it be possible to see a photo of what your clip looks like while installed? Can you also show me any relevant hardware that interacts with it during routine operation of the door? I think I have an idea of what this does but I just want to be 100% sure that we're on the same page.

Hi Tom, the photo shows where it sits in the door frame, rotating to lock in the screen/window panel. The radius is 1-1/4 inches, but for a rectangular Yale Stop to fit, it can't be any wider than 1 inch. If 1 in or less, then that should work.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named r
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! This is a huge help. So, right off the bad we can throw out the 16-028, that won't work. We actually don't have any part that matches this at all, though we do have a few that work on the same principle. 

My first though tis something like our 70-092. It may look very different at first but it may very well function in the same spot as your original. It would swivel on the same screw and hold the glass panel in the same way. My only concern is the offset; I'm not sure if the 1/16" it's working with will have enough clearance to work with the cup in which your old clip installed.

Another possibility, assuming you need a more dramatic offset, is something like our 70-086 or 70-072. These are plastic so we're getting even more different from your old design, but they work the same way and have a 1/8" and 3/16" offset, respectively. Theoretically these could also work, depending on size.

I'm sorry I couldn't get anything closer to your original. Your design is very old fashioned and likely hasn't been around in decades. Fortunately, its function seems fairly simple so you really only need something that fits and gives you enough clearance. Hopefully the parts I've suggested will do that.

Tom, thanks very much for the feedback. I'll hold off on plastic clips for now, maybe try to find something at an old supply store. A Hail Mary, I realize, but that'll make it fun! Cheers

Helder
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good to me! I'm sure you can find something that will work. These clips have a fairly simple application, even if your old design is a little more complex than what you usually see on modern windows. 

Good luck on your search and please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.