Replacement springs for Silverline windows

Quick Learner from Willernie, MN
May 11, 2024 1:21 pm
I have two broken coil balances in each of two window frames, and I need a little guidance on selecting and installing replacement parts. The windows both weigh 16 pounds, one is 25" tall and the other 28". The top part says #9.0. The springs and snapped down to the shoes, and they read #9.0 and 35"P.

My understanding is that I literally have to cut a notch in the frame in order to replace the parts. I haven't done that yet, so I haven't looked to see how things are put together. Does the spring hook on to the shoe in an obvious way?
pivot shoe installed coil balance cover
2 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 13, 2024 11:32 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hey there! Thank you for reaching out to us. We may be able to help with this. Your pivot shoe is too obscured by the window track so we would need to see an undamaged version removed from the sash to determine the compatible springs. Once the pivot shoe is removed, you should be able to see how the spring is attached to the shoe itself.

The video below will go over how to make a cut out in the window track as well. 

Quick Learner from Willernie, MN
May 14, 2024 11:22 am
It's hard to come to terms with hacking into my window frame. But here are the parts. The spring is a half inch wide. I can see now that the spring goes into the shoe with a quarter twist, and the coil just rests in the anchor.
pivot shoe anchors pivot shoe coil spring
3 user uploaded images
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 14, 2024 2:29 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you very much! This is a huge help. It appears you have the 15-228 pivot shoe which is designed to be used with the Series 160 springs. I believe I see the number 9 stamped on the coil support so see the S160-09 9-pound spring. We also sell the 15-150S single coil spring support but you can reuse your old one if it isn't broken. 

I'll be here if you have any questions!

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts