Replacement to DR05-1510

A home owner from California says:
I seek a similar replacement to DR05-1510 but am concerned part 82-108 does not provide the outer mounting screw holes. DR05-1510 has two outer mounting holes, two posts for horizontal bolt attachment, and an inner hole for the locking mechanism. 82-108 appears only to have the posts and inner hole. Am I missing something?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience during this busy season. The 82-108 does have the outer mounting holes. You can see them more clearly in the first dimensional diagram we show on its store page, which I will also post below for your convenience. 

Dimensions for 82-108
Dimensions for 82-108

Thanks, Tom! It appears that 82-108 is a replacement somehow for both parts DR05-1530 and DR05-1510 since it mounts to the door. What are the studs for if not to connect the handle attachment similar to DR05-1510? How does the handle attach to 82-108? The outer holes I was referring to were to connect the handle to DR05-1510, not the horizontal screw holes. I do see additional holes next to the studs in 82-108 but since they're not centered, I'm not sure what they're for, either. I appreciate your help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C2B564DF-53BC-4F70-874B-615DF8B6B17D.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

The metal posts do not connect to the pull, no. You have it backwards; the posts actually go inside the door. The pull handle actually doesn't mount to the 82-108 in any way. It mounts to a tertiary piece, which itself mounts to the 82-108.

I think you should look at our 82-080 for a better idea of how this handle set is supposed to look. The interior portion of the set is comprised of four pieces: the pull, the pull base, the 82-108 mounting plate, and the 82-240 thumb lever.

Looking at your photo here, you're showing the pull and pull base. I don't see the mounting plate. The pull screws to the pull base, and the pull base sort of "plugs" into the 82-108. The screws that come in from the sides secure the whole thing. 

Dimensions for 82-080
Dimensions for 82-080

Thanks, Tom. Do you have a part number for that tertiary piece/pull base or do I need to spring for assembly 82-080 (which appears to include part 82-108)? Would you agree that this tertiary part/pull base combined with 82-108 would dutifully replace former parts DR05-1510 and DR05-1530? I'd like to avoid replacing perfectly good parts if I can avoid it. Last question, I swear!
Profile picture of Tom

That tertiary piece is unfortunately not sold separately. The 82-108 is the only component of the 82-080 kit that is available by itself. Everything else is only included with the kit. I've never seen this piece sold separately and I am not sure that it will be possible to get it. I hate to say it, but if that's what's broken then you should strongly consider an overall replacement.

Even if those two pieces could work, it's important to understand that they change the design of these handles all the time. I've seen several instances where the 82-108 itself was too skinny or even too wide in some cases, and was therefore incompatible. It's designed only to work with the 82-080 in its current iteration. Over the years I've found it to be more reliable to just replace the whole handle.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.