Replacement track toppers for sliding glass door

A quick learner from Leesburg Florida says:
Question is - I have a 6 foot sliding glass door with a damaged track. I have thoroughly cleaned it and prepared it for installing the replacement 6 foot metal track cover. I am wondering if I can cut the cover into 2 pieces and join them at the cut ends in the middle of the track making sure there will not be a ridge to impede the rollers from a smooth glide. I don?t want to remove the door if possible. I was hoping I could slide each 36? section into the track separately simply by moving the door to open then close it again to install the other piece onto the track on the stationary window. Thanks for your answer! -Bonnie
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bonnie, we don't recommend this type of installation, but if you make a clean cut with a hacksaw and use an epoxy to secure the track cover onto the original, it should work.

Thanks for your answer to the question I posted about replacing the 6 ft sliding glass door track. I decided I need to remove the door and do it right! I watched your instruction video here and realized when the door was removed, what I am dealing with is a damaged replacement track. Evidently replaced on the original track some years ago! Now do I need to remove that old damaged replacement track that is on there before I can do the new one ??
Thanks again?
Profile picture of Paul

Is it possible for you to upload some photos of the repair that was done on the track? I'd like to have a closer look before I provide any more information. 

Hi Paul

Hope these pictures are clear enough to shoe the track.

Far as I can tell, the wheels on both ends are ok. Although the door has not been out to inspect them. Because 'the door is old, they

May be original.

Thank you!

Bonnie

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D3D01C2E-0EB3-46FF-A275-2420ADF8DBEE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 97B3CCFB-4FDB-4502-94AF-E0C78F76C776.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D9FD5357-275C-4F5F-BF81-670B38D65C03.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks, Bonnie. Most old aluminum patio doors are removed by lifting up and swinging it in to the house. If that won't work, you will need to remove the screen door and stationary door first, then tilt sliding door outside. 

Since the track cover is what needs to be replaced, it leads me to believe the rollers should also be replaced. Unfortunately I don't recognize the door so I can't make a recommendation out of hand. When you remove the door, you could also remove the rollers and show us a few photos of them. We could do our best to identify a match from that.

How to install a sliding glass door track cover
How to install a sliding glass door track cover
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.