Replacing new 82-055 door handle

A quick learner from Long Island says:
I recently purchased a replacement Acorn door handle, 82-055. The size and dimension are fine, but I cannot remove the old handle. I can unscrew and remove the "inside" part of the handle, but I cannot get the "outside" part of the handle off. I have tried a phillips screw drive and I have tried several allyn wrenches, but I just can't remove it. I need help. How do I get the old handle off to put the new handle on?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hello! The 82-055K handle and other similar handles are held on with two Phillips head screws. You would need to remove the screws first. If you have already done that, the next step would be to pull the outside handle off. In some cases, the outside handle will fall right off. To remove the inside handle, you will need to kind of wiggle it to get the "locking hook" out of the door. Did you try to pry off the outside handle with a small screwdriver or a tool like the 75-026 chisel? Usually an Allen wrench isn't needed! If you want, you can send us some photos of your handle and show us the problem you are having. We'd be glad to lend a hand.
A home owner from Long Island says:
Thanks for the prompt reply. The 2 base screws that hold the front and back of the handle were removed along with the locking mechanism. I was easily able to remove the front with no problem, but the outside handle doesn't seem to budge. I thought it might have had something on the inside and tried both types of screwdrivers so that the back handle would come off but it is firmly in place. I believe the house and this door was constructed / installed back in the 1970's. The outside handle is either very stubborn or the construction of the door itself was different 40+ years ago. I don't want to damage the door and haven't used any type of chisel to pry it off. I will give your suggestion a try and keep you posted.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.