Retrofitting Wood Windows with Coil Balances

A contractor from Pennsylvania says:

Hi,

I have a project with wood windows, which I'm going to retrofit fit with coil balances. The wood sashes weight 10 lbs each. Attached is a picture of two coil balances used for such a project. 

I personally haven't completed such a project but the idea came from another contractor that cut an opening in the window sash, inserted the coil housing (plastic white piece) then fastened the steel band to the window jamb with screws through the holes available (attached picture has 2 holes in the band).  The downfall is the steel coil will be visible after installation. 

What parts will I need to best accomplish this project? 

Mike

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Screenshot_20200407-113141_Samsung Internet.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Mike. This is a very unusual way in using this coil spring assembly, but even if you use any other system like the most common for wood sashes, Series 500 tube balances, the balance is going to show. I stress these parts aren't really meant to be used the way you intend, so I can't guarantee that they'll work: but the pictures you show feature the 15-086 Coil Tandem Housing, and the Coil Springs are our Series 180. If the window weighs exactly 10 lbs, in theory you'd just need one of the S180-5 5 lb springs on each side of the sash, for a total of 10 lbs of support. But again, I am by no means certain this will work for your application. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.